Tivo or EyeTV 200

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macbaseball, Jun 25, 2005.

1. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    I've searched the forum and I couldn't find a thread comparing Tivo to E¥eTv 200, so please don't tell me there's a thread. If i missed it please post it.

Anyways, here's the question:

I'm trying to decide between a Tivo and a EyeTv 200. I just want to record live TV, edit out the commericals, and then save it to the hard drive inside of my Power Mac. Currently, I record onto DVDs but I lose too much quality when I edit out the commericals. I've heard that the Tivo doesn't have good Mac support, but it can record HDTV. The EyeTv 200 would make it easier to get the T.V. shows onto my Mac, because of the firewire connection, and it doesn't support HDTV. I can't get the EyeTV 500, because there is nothing to record on the airways. Anyways, what is the better option, the Tivo or the EyeTV 200. (Any other options are fine two, I just thought those two were the best).
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I would personally go with the EyeTV because it is designed for the Mac. Don't really know much about Tivo except it is mainly to be hooked up to a TV. You should visit the Elgato website.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I think you are better off with the EyeTV if you major concern is putting the recordings on your hard drive. Currently there is no supported way to transfer from Tivo to Mac. I have Tivo and a PC, and let me tell you the transfer process is SLOW.
  4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...EyeTV 200 works great...and if you buy soon (before the end of july) Elgato has a $30 rebate - makes it an even better deal.....oh yeah!
  5. kant macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    broadcast flag

get the eyetv. make sure that it's one that doesn't have the broadcast flag chip. There is no doubt in my mind that some late night the broadcast flag will get amended onto a defense, appropriations, or some other "must pass" bill.