Tivo or ReplayTV

Discussion in 'Community' started by cleo, Apr 3, 2003.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I just qualified for my first Visa platinum card, and I'm going to reward myself with buying a DVR. Since you guys are fellow tecnophiles, I thought I'd consult you on which you'd recommend - Tivo or ReplyTV. I'm looking at the 80-hour Tivo series 2 and the 160-hour ReplayTV 5060. Right now I'm leaning towards the ReplayTV, but I'd like to get some more feedback before I decide. Any input?

2. dricci macrumors 6502a

Well, seeing that Sonic Blue (makers of ReplayTV) filed for bankruptcy and are auctioning off their ReplayTV unit (which could just disappear) I'd go with the TiVo.

Plus, if you get the extra Home Media Option which is supposed to come out this month, you can share your iTunes and iPhotos on your Mac with your TiVo.

http://www.tivo.com/new

3. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I've had a tivo for over a year now and I love it. Totally changed my TV habits (in a good way). I have no experience with Replay, so I can't speak to that. I've only got 30 hours on my unit, which only became an issue when I went on vacation. 30 hours is a lot of TV...

I've heard nothing but good about the series 2, by the by.

4. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Too much Television can be bad for you......
    but seriously the ReplayTV is a better product, but as dricci stated Sonicblue is have some hard time right now, that doesnt mean that the products are going away though they state that they are selling the company to people better suited to run it so Im sure it will stick around, but it's still a factor to weigh in.
    If you have to go with the Tivo it's still a great product so you really can't go wrong.

5. vniow macrumors G4

Damn, where's Nipsy when you need him?

He's done quite a bit of research in this arena, maybe someone should contact him....

6. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Hmm, thanks for all the input. Now I'm really on the fence. Plus, I talked to my dad about it, and he gave me a significant look and said, "Remember, graduation is coming up soon!" Hehe.

Those of you with Tivo, are there utilities out there that allow you to transfer recoreded shows to your Mac, or is this something that only ReplayTV does? Also, would the bankruptcy of Sonicblue affect the monthly service, or is that provided by a third party?

7. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    there was another TiVo thread here... . Personally, I have a 60hr unit, and I've never really come close to filling it, even at best quality where i get approx 17hrs. so if you're thinking 160 over 80, i wouldn't bother with the extra space. I would recommend the TiVoNet ethernet card if you plump for the TiVo though (if you have broadband that is).

hoe this, and the other thread help a li'l

8. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

You rang...

ReplayTV is a much better service for geeks, however, they have more bugs, and are in chapter 11 (Although it looks like Denon has agreed to buy them). Commercial advance rocks. Built in broadband rocks. The quality of the recordings is slightly better. Programming via the web rocks. Show Sharing is cool, but takes awhile. Exporting to DVD rocks.

Tivo is a bit childish in comparison. Their UI reminds me of XP. It has less tiny bugs. It is in a safer financial situation.

Go here to get answers from Replay owners:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=27
    Go here to get answers from Tivo owners:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
    Go here if you're a Dish network subscriber:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?daysprune=30&forumid=21

Also, you can search MR for the threads I've posted in before.

9. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

BTW, I have a RTV 5040 (now a 160), and I do keep it almost full.

I like to have a selection of stuff I like available to watch when nothing good is on, so I keep 10 episodes of Hawaii 5-0, 30 Simpsons, etc. for when I'm watching TV, and there's just nothing on.

Also, HBO movies & shows like 24 or CSI eat space, as I record them at high quality and watch them when I feel like it.

Commercial advance has problems with the above shows, as they have lots of fade effects that fool the system. It's better to use 2 + QuickSkip on these shows.

10. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I know I should use the edit button, but I can't be bothered.

If ReplayTV does totally go under, I have a feeling that because there is a geekier Replay Community, we'll have a 'free PVR' on our hands.

I watched this happen when HP quit supporting the MP3 component player I have in my stereo.

OpenSource geekdom has made it a BETTER product.

Screen scraping guides, and keeping the functionality, without the payment, looks probable, however, it will likely not be for the faint of code.

11. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I have the Tivo Series 2 60 hour unit and it is great. I have found that I watch much less TV now that I did. I used to watch 5 shows now I only watch 1. This happened because obviously you can record the shows, do something else now, then watch them later. So that is what we did. Recorded the shows. Now that you've recorded the show you have to find time to watch them.

But, I found that after I recorded them I didn't want to bother watching them. I'd become accustemed to filling my time with other activities and had no time to watch what I had recorded.

But, that one show I want to watch is still worth having because you can pause it and start it like it was a DVD. That alone is worth the price of the unit and service.

I know everyone is wanting to know what the only show I watch. It's Survivor "Ohh yeaa!!"