TiVo Proection remover

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by illegalprelude, Aug 4, 2006.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, California
    Hey you guys, ive had my series 2 TiVo now from about 2 months and A. its the most newest bested toy new thing ever. I used to hardly watch tv because I never had time when the shows I wanted air, now im programing that sucker and always having whatever show i want, ready for me to watch on my own time. Plus, pausing a live show, getting some food ready and then un-pausing is pure sexie :D

My TiVo is also part of my home network where I can stream its video content to my computers and store them on my house server and access them anywhere. My problem is, I would like to remove the DRAM or protection or whatever thats on these TiVo files so I can play around with the clips, maybe post some short segments of Daily Show and Colbert Report on YouTube and more so, i like just making music video's and such on my free time. :cool:

ive searched google and cannot find anything. Again, I own the Tivo 80hr Series 2, (not the Direct TV tivo or anything) so any help would be appreciated! :)
  2. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    you need a pc (or an intel mac with xp)

as for posting clips on youtube, isn't that illegal? how are peeps getting away with it?

anyway, if you have a pc, you can hack the tivo by using the serial cable and enabling a network connection so you can copy files to your mac. there may be ways to do it without a pc now... look through here.... http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/
  3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    This is easy! :)

First get on a Windows box, yes i know its hard but this is crucial as TiVo doesnt support TiVo to go on OS X.

Download the .tivo file using tivo desktop (the software on tivo.com) to your local PC HD

Google for a app called "TVHarmony"

install said app

TVHarmony will turn the .tivo file in to virtually any other format (mpg avi) along with formatting it for a iPod, PSP, Palm, and other mobile devices.

If you need more help feel free to PM me :)