Tivo questions

Discussion in 'Community' started by matticus008, Jul 31, 2005.

1. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I don't really have any idea where to put this thread, since it isn't exactly Mac-related, but anyway. I have the option of getting a brand new Tivo unit for really cheap ($10). I don't need the subscription services (and in fact won't be able to use them, since it's not available in Canada), so I'd just be using it as a crippled digital VCR. However, because I'm paring down possessions for the move, I've gotten rid of my TV. I rarely use it anyway.

I'd really like to know if the Tivo boxes can be used as an external tuner, though. I have (or will have, post-move) a large LCD with S-Video and Composite inputs, and I'm curious as to whether the Tivo will work on it, or if it relies on there being a TV tuner at the monitor. It's basically a PC monitor, though it won't be used as such. Does anyone know if this can be done? I know you can hook up game consoles to it.

Also, I've heard it may not even be possible to activate the DVR unit (a brand new TCD540, never opened) without the subscription, but I'd really like to try. Maybe MythTV will support Tivo hardware soon. If not, I hope I can get it working without signing up for anything.

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

3. matticus008 thread starter macrumors 68040

matticus008

Sweet! Thanks a lot, I'll post there and see if I can get a certain answer. I assume it will connect to the LCD, since there's no way to tune channels through component/S-video inputs, and the Tivo box outputs in those formats.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Flowbee is right, you'll get better and more info over there. But I thought I'd let you know that I'm almost positive that TiVo won't work without the subscription on the Series 2 boxes. I think you could Series 1 without a subscription though..

5. matticus008 thread starter macrumors 68040

matticus008

For anyone who searches the forum later and finds this thread, these guys are correct. The Tivo box WILL connect to any monitor or TV with a composite or S-video input, but the series 2 box will only pause TV for up to 30 minutes. Not having a subscription makes the unit pretty much worthless.

There is a hack to make it work in Canada, but it is not compatible with the TCD540 series of DVR units.