tivo to a Mac....gettin confused....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by erova, Feb 6, 2002.

1. erova macrumors member

Jan 18, 2002
    washington dc
    anyone know how to get data from a tivo onto a mac? my job is on tv quite a bit and they want me to take the clips from tv and post'em on the web...
  2. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Re: tivo to a Mac....gettin confused....

Digital to Analog converter. Formac Studio, Sony DA Converter, Dazzle.. any of those will work. Choose one of the analog RCA outs from the Tivo, run those to the inputs on the D/A converter, and then input to the Mac via FireWire. Easiest thing to capture with is of course iMovie, where the D/A converter will show up as an attached camera. Then just play the Tivo, or choose the "record to VCR" option on the Tivo to get it to display the program info at the beginning.. handy if you're going to archive a lot of them.

Then edit with iMovie in any way you see fit, and save it out to Quicktime to post on the web.
  3. balliet macrumors member

Dec 21, 2001
    A bunch of linux tivo hackers managed to find a way to digitally extract the mpegs from their tivos with some special software and a network card in the tivo. I don't have the url, but if you search on slashdot I'm sure you can find it.

Now this is much harder than the digital to analog converter way, but if you have some experience with linux, nothing to do some weekend, and feel like voiding your warranty, it might be worth a shot.