TiVo's Plans Lead to Fight On Copyrights

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by craigdawg, Jul 22, 2004.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Here we go again. I have a TiVo and this is a good idea (to be able to share content). Of course it will be crushed by the courts.

One of these days, technology manufacturers, consumers, content creators, directors, studios, record companies, lawyers, congressmen, senators, the RIAA, the MPAA, and the FCC will agree on something. That Germans love David Hasslehoff. :D

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4042-2004Jul21.html
    (Registration required. Go to bugmenot.com for a fakie.)

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This is a tough battle. I can understand the Copy-write holders position, if one is able to "broadcast:, then there is a "loss". But if I want to to able to broadcast within my own home, I should be able too.

3. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

If you want to 'broadcast', you just need to get permission. 'Narrowcasting' within one's own home should be covered by the "Fair Use" clause. But the content creators are arguing against even this in the digital age.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I was referring to your concept of 'Narrowcasting". That is one of the issues when discussing this type of topic.

5. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I'm planning to narrowcast in my own home's network. We have Foxtel pay TV (here is australia), and we would like to watch it in multiple rooms. Now, we don't care about different channels, but being able to watch Foxtel anyhere we want would be nice.

I though of running a cable from our Set-top box, to one of our desktop computers, and into a capture card. Then I can narrowcast it over my LAN with VideoLAN.
    After that, I would be able to sit anywhere I like in the house, with my iBook, and watch TV.

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

this is ridiculous. fair use via vcr's has become a common right, and it has logically extended to the technology available. if you take this away, people will find newer and better ways to record without the benefit of legality, and as we've seen with the music industry, it means people will have less respect for the medium and future legal behavior.
    i don't condone it, but we've become a culture of instant gratification and expectations of acceptablity have changed dramatically. consumers want to have more control and more options. whoever does that first wins the race, like apple with itunes.
    tivo is smart for this. and not just because it protects their interests.

7. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

I understand the content creators point of view in this. It's not just a matter of being able to make a copy of something for your own use, archives. It's more a matter of preventing the illegal "sharing" of copywrited material. Example- If I buy a CD, no problem. I make a copy of that CD for my own archival use, no problem. As soon as my friend gets his/her hands on an unpaid for copy, there is a problem.