.tk problems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dorqiekat, Dec 23, 2004.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

ever heard of the websites ending with .tk? well, i used to be able to open them when i had windows, and now i can't. :( i had thought that maybe the link was wrong, but even their main site doesn't work.
    http://www.dot.tk

does .tk not support mac? will i have to add this to my "darn it doesn't work" list? :(

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

They have some downtimes. Its working right now.

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats weird. downtimes or not, i've never been able to open a .tk site. safari says that they were unable to find or something like that. so does firefox.

...still can't open.

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

^^^ Thats strange. I have my homepage on .tk, www.abhishekit.tk, and there are very few times when I can't access it.

5. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

could there be something wrong with my safari settings?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I am able to open both www.dot.tk and abihishekit's homepage with both Safari and FF. What error do you get? Here are two ideas:

- Could it be your DNS? Try an experiment...try to go to thee www.dot.tk site by feeding the IP number to your browser instead of the web address. From a dig, the IP seems to be 62.129.131.33 (so point to http://62.129.131.33). This also loaded for me without trouble through Safari.

- Could it have something to do with IPV6? I don't know much about that topic. I know in Firefox, there are some issues with disabling IPV6 searching, but I have it disabled and I can see the site in FF.

7. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

uhhh, i have no idea what you're saying. sorry, not really a computer person. i did click on the url with all the numbers, and it loaded. but, it wouldn't load the .tk site......

8. Bear macrumors G3

Just remember not all sites ending in .tk are on the same computer or even in the same computer room, so it's valid for some .tk sites to be working fine and others to be having issues.

If you're having issues with a website or sites, it helps to have the full hostname and just not the part.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If the URL with the numbers worked, and www.dot.tk did not work, then the issue is with resolving the web address into an IP address. All "main sites" on the internet -- the "www....com" or "www....tk" part -- are actually codenames for numeric addresses. A domain name server (DNS) is what translates the codename into the series of numbers. The series of numbers I gave you is the translation for www.dot.tk. When you clicked on it, you should have seen the same tk site. At least for me, the two are the same. So if the numbers work, but the written out address, www.dot.tk, does not work, it means the problem is in getting from the address to the numbers.

So, there are a couple of possible explanations for that. The most likely one is that your ISP changed something and lost those names from its name server for some reason. If your up for it, the way to test is to open a terminal window, and type "dig www.dot.tk" -- you should get the same set of numbers I gave you (62.129.131.33) back from the dig command. If you don't this is probably a DNS issue, and you probably need to call your service provider.