TNT lost my ibook - apparently

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Red Belly, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Red Belly macrumors member

I decided to switch in late March. I decided to stick it out for ibook updates which came much later than I expected. I ordered my stock 14" new ibook and an AE and a 2nd skin on July 28. They shipped on July 29. They arrived at TNT in Holland on Aug 3. They arrived in Dublin and were sent "out for delivery" on Monday, Aug 8.

So last Monday I'm excitedly waiting for my ibook, waiting for a call from the driver to get directions to my house maybe. Then at 11:37 the TNT tracker logs my ibook as "delivered", signed for by a B. Stokes, the location is given as Dublin even though the same tracking page lists the destination as Wexford, which is nearly 100miles from Dublin.

Straight away I ring Apple, they say they'll get in touch with TNT who will have 3 working days to respond. TNT's 3 days were up today so I phone Apple again, TNT haven't replied to them so the guy at Apple initiates a replacement order even though he says TNT may yet uncover what happened and get the original shipment to me. The Apple agent's most optimistic prediction for delivery of replacement order is the end of next week, Aug 19, 22 days after I ordered a STOCK product!

I emailed TNT this evening to see if they have any explantion to offer me, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any forumistas out there dealt with problems like this before? How were they resolved? Did it all work out in the end?

:mad:
    rb

2. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

if that was me TNT would never hear the end of my tyrates...I would scream and bitch to every employee there untill I got my comp back...
    so that is what i would do

3. mpw Guest

4. mpw Guest

Don't bother with TNT get a name at customer service at Apple and start emailing and emailing bitching about TNT to Apple. Apple will want to keep you sweet and TNT need to keep Apple sweet so whatever Apple give you they'll be getting refunded from TNT so Apple WANT to give you as much as possible so you're a happy bunny and it's cost them nothing!

5. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Be glad its not Parcelfarce you're dealing with. The only company i've dealt with that makes me want to back the birch.

6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Don't worry, you're not alone. Apple lost my PowerBook as well for a while and its now slightly delayed :mad:. Hey, I'll be in Shannon next week and Dublin on Friday! First time over there.

7. Red Belly thread starter macrumors member

You can race my ibook to Dublin!

Enjoy!

rb

8. john_satc macrumors 6502

oh trust me TNT is awful. They lost my copy of Tiger, then turned up like 100 miles away. They then sent it back, I had to go pick it up and some stupid idiot had locked it in some cage and taken the key home! So I had to come back a thrid time, like a week late, and collect it. I waitd for over 4 hours at that sorting office all together and received no compensation. Bloody idiots.

9. binhex12 macrumors newbie

Based in Cork and after TNT/Apple lost my iMac it took ages to find. You have to be polite and reasonable with the Customer Service people. Most of them are not Irish and they're not being paid a huge amount to work in Apple.

Some tips. Log every call to Apple, get the name of the person you are speaking to - they're on shifts so you can never be guaranteed you'll ever get the same person again.

You have to be firm but fair; if the person you speak to in Apple can't give you a new delivery date/time on your first call - ask to speak to their supervisor. They are normallly not "Customer Facing" so if they say they can't pass you on ask whom they report to personally and then ask to speak to them. If no result at the next level, then ask for their immediate superior and you may get it. If all else fails, demand to speak to Joe Gantley, boss of Apple Ireland.

Check with your credit card company and if Apple have taken your money for a product you have not received, indeed, someone else has signed for it might be worth mentioning it to the Gardai, or at least mentioning your intention to Apple.

I know at this stage all you want is your computer but I think you need to mention that you need recompense for your distress. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a new iPod it worked for me!

PM me for a contact in Apple that may be able to help.

10. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

They use lynx too...

...and they also seem awful. One recent package couldn't be delivered to my house because they couldn't find it! Today i'm told that they left a card, fair enough i think, everyone was out. I get home to find that there is no card so god knows where my package is. Have rearranged for delivery next week on thursday when i'm off work, here's hoping there'll be able to find the place or it will be an awfully long day!

11. Red Belly thread starter macrumors member

Update

TNT confessed to Apple today that they lost my order. The replacement order has already shipped (but not trackable online yet). It's being prioritised so It should arrive on Wednesday or thereabouts.

If it does it'll be exactly one week after the original estimated delivery date of the original order, which imho is a reasonable recovery of the situation...if it happens!

rb

12. Red Belly thread starter macrumors member

Update

Well... I finally have my ibook...but it's the original shipment not the replacement shipment! After numerous phonecalls I eventually got to talk to the driver who misdelivered the consignment and he figured out something was up, went to the address he had delivered my ibook to and recovered it and delivered it to my next-door neighbour for me (as I was out when he called). I don't plan to make a big deal about it now, the driver made a silly error which he has explained and apologised for and he's gone out of his way to rectify it. I wouldn't like to see the guy get hauled over the coals now.

Only one dilemma now...the replacement order is due to arrive tomorrow morning (same driver), I suppose I should do the decent thing?

So far I love the ibook, I have one dead pixel, but I can't see what all the fuss is about dead pixels, I have to really look and study the screen on a light background to find it.

rb

13. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Hmm. I'd open the other iBook to see if it had dead pixels, and if it didn't Id give apple the one with the dead pixels. Apple keeps saying the dead pixel policy is industry wide, which has already been discussed that some companies have a zero dead pixel policy. Plus you paid premium for that product. Personally I'd be pissed if my lappy had dead pixels (17" of dead-pixeless beauty)

14. Red Belly thread starter macrumors member

Yet another update!!

So I did the decent thing, I phoned Apple and I phoned TNT not to deliver the replacement order, and they didn't...but yesterday I get an email from Apple asking me to contact them about why I refused to accept delivery of the replacement order and they say that if I haven't contacted them in 5 days they will cancel the order and refund my credit card!

Should I contact them?

rb

15. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I would just to clear up anything on their end. Just in case and all. Tell them to make notes this time in the order though so it doesn't happen again.

16. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

TNT are delivering my new iBook tomorrow. Hopefully. TNT have always been ok for me, but then again, their hub is literally a mile from me. So touch wood all will be good for me tomorrow.

Red Belly... just ignore the email as it would have been an automated response from Apple/TNT. (I.e. TNT pressed refused on their keyboard, which sent apple a refused signal and the tracking number which automatically emailed you a why? letter.) After the 5 days are up, a real person will have to process the credit card refund and then hopefully they'll realise how silly they (often) are.

17. Red Belly thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I reckon that's what will happen...no chance of a free ibook then... :)

rb

18. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Well if they do refund then by law they cant take the money back off you and its their own mistake. Perhaps they'll upgrade their communications system because of it. Saying nothing is not illegal - it's their mistake.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

thats why i love living in westminster, so close to the regent street apple store :D.

20. mpw Guest

They can't take it but they can ask for it back at which point you can't legally say nothing and keep it.

21. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Hello? you have the chance to check if the other iBook has any dead pixels. Give them the other one that does have the dead pixels. And for all the trouble you went through, you get a second chance at not having a imperfect screen.