To adopt a cat or no?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by livingfortoday, Oct 15, 2006.

?

Well, whaddya say?

1. Give the cat a chance at a (slightly) better life!

62 vote(s)
    91.2%
  2. No, odds are it'll find a better home than whatever you can offer

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Have you considered fish? They're cheap, and if they die, tasty!

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

So, I have a question for ya'll. I was at Petsmart the other night, and they have a section of the store where animal shelters can put up cats they have for adoption. There was one cat, a big fat furry fella who was nearly 12 years old, who was given to the shelter because his owner had to go to a nursing home. And the thought that a life-long companion of somebody got taken away from them, and stuck in a metal cage where he would spend the rest of his days just broke my heart.

Now, I've had numerous cats through the years, but am currently living in a studio apartment on the second floor of a building with no easy outside access. So I really can't have a cat that would wanna go outside or would need lots of room to run around.

So here's my question. I think we can all agree that the cat in question, and in fact any of the cats up for adoption would be happier in my crappy studio than a metal cage. Since they're older cats, and people tend to go for kittens (to avoid behavioral problems, plus they're cuter), it may be a long time until these cats get adopted, if ever. Uh, so, the question is, should I get one of these cats? It's certainly not an ideal situation for them to be in at my place, but again, when the odds are against them the way they are...

Also, I'm fairly certain Illinois doesn't have no-kill laws, right? I know when I lived in Florida they did, but not here, I think. So these cats could end up dead, also. Hmm.

What would you do?

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Go for it.
    Kitty cat only has 2-6 years left anyways.

Meow.

Fun fact: Did you know that the word ***** is censored?
    I can't say ***** cat!
    I'm outraged!

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Really? *****! ***** cat!

Wow, check that out, you're right!

4. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

If the cat belonged to an elderly person it probably never went outside. In fact, it is unhealthy for cats to go outside in the city.

5. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I know what you mean livingfortoday, I passed by the adoption section at my local pet shop the other day and couldn't help just going, "awwwww....." :eek:.

As long as we're on the subject of cats, check this out.

LINKY

6. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

This is my old cat from Miami on there:
    http://kittenwar.com/kittens/43528/

That photo is from when I found him on the street. Starving, with fleas and mites, and generally in really bad shape. He grew to become the most insane cat I have ever owned. Sadly, he ran away from the girl that was catsitting him when I was out of town about a year after I first found him.

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

Get the kitty! You'll both be happier for doing so.

8. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

9. Lau Guest

Two friends of mine have had two cats, and have made a point of only taking older cats from animal shelters who were house cats in the first place. I think this is a good way to go — it's great for the cats to get a nice home assuming that they won't want to go outside. They took their current cat back to my friend's parents' house, and tried to show her the outside, but she hated it and ran back inside, so I think she's happy in their flat. :D

10. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, the consensus seems to be to go with the cat. Can one of the people who voted against it or for the fish maybe lemme know why they think I shouldn't get a cat? Just curious.

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Adopt the cat. It's a shame that the cat couldn't continue living with it's owner. I have one cat now that was give to me by my brother since he couldn't take care of it anymore. She was only a year old at best when we first got her, but I don't think I could live without her anymore. I love her to death.

12. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

don't downplay the benefit of your apartment for the cat. it is 12 years old, lost it's life long companion, is trapped in a metal cage all day, and will probably be killed if no one adopts it. It's life sucks right now; having a loving owner and the freedom of an apartment(even a small one) instead of a cage will do wonders for it. Let it live out it's last few years in happiness.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Absolutely get the cat. As you and others have pointed out, it's not likely to be adopted quickly. As good as the folks at the animal shelter or SPCA are, the cat will be better off with its home and someone to call its own. And yes, indoor cats can be quite happy, and they live more than twice as long as outdoor cats.

Be sure to post pics so that us cat lovers can ooh and aah! :D

14. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Alright, the yea's have it. I'll get the cat tomorrow evening if I can make it, or Tuesday.

So... anyone in the Chicago area have a spare litterbox/litter they don't need? Or any cat toys or scratching posts? Eh?

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Chinese food is always good. Cats always make good (fake) beef. :D

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Me and my girlfriend did the same sort of thing for a cat we found. We found it roaming around the desert. It just ran up to us meowing, really really skinny and his fur a tangled mess, so we took it home. It liked being outdoors, so we never brought it inside (unless it was raining). We had him for about a year or so. He gained a lot of weight (couldn't see it's spine anymore), and his coat got really nice. One day though, we didn't see him anymore. He probably left the safety of the gated back yard one night and ran into a coyote. It was the saddest day of my life when I had to tell myself he was never coming back. :(

Post pictures of the kitty when you get it.

17. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I adopted a cat from the Fresno SPCA about four years ago....I only had to pay $50 for her....if you offered me a billion dollars for her....I would turn you down in a millisecond. Yes you're right, I feel very strongly about cats; in my eyes and in my heart, they are perfect.

livingfortoday, the most important thing to offer a cat or any animal that is in need of a home, is to give them love. An endless flowing supply of love is what they need the most; and if you're the right person, which I think you are, that will be easy for you. :)

18. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Adopt the cat, the shelter might be so happy that someone took an "unadoptable" cat that they might waive the fees altogether.
    at 12 years age the cat is mature but still has a few good years left, just no rough play and make sure the teeth are good.

As for the studio apartment space, it will be more than enough as long as the cat has an area where it can be alone, like a little tent-cave etc. and a window to look out of. maybe get is cat grass once in a while.

19. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

i would addopt the cat as well, at that age they dont really run around a lot, and will spend most of the day sleeping. :rolleyes:

If you get ***** please post some pics!

Just as a side note, my cats name is actually *****... :eek:

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i guess the cat has still some years ahead of her... our cat is actually 17 years old but she isn't as big

21. jlcharles macrumors 6502

My wife and I adopted two kittens from a shelter working with the Petsmart in my area. We would have gotten older cats, but seeing as we have a rabbit, we were afraid an older cat would think dinner time. I think this is a Petsmart policy, but they may adopt out two cats for the price of one if you are interested.

Do it.

22. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I am doing the same thing....open up your heart,,,,

23. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

24. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    We adopted billiethecat <- avatar, and it was the best thing we ever did...!!

pets are important and can seriously improve your life.

Don't even hesitate.

25. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

not funny :rolleyes: