To all our Brits- just saw Paul Weller!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Sep 22, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Saw him here in Chicago for the fourth time. I love that guy! This time I took my Mom with me. She's 62 years old and was elated afterward! She can't figure out why he's not more popular here. Neither can I actually. His music is very universal. He's your national treasure.

2. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

What? No replies? Oh come on guys. :) Believe it or not, people came from all over the states for the show.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

OK- so no Weller fans here on MacRumors then?

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ha-ha! Katie- he's a british rock GOD. Ever heard of The Jam or The Style Council? They were both his bands in the 70's and 80's until he went solo. If you get a chance, check out his stuff on iTunes.

6. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Hahaha. I just listened to a clip on the iTMS, and I was gonna say it sounds like The Jam! I've never heard of him, but obviously heard of The Jam.

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Oh.. I was born in '88.

That may explain why I know what a Paul Weller is.

or what The Jam or Style Council are.

...I'm so young!

*cries because earliest band (for lack of a better word) she can remember is N-Sync.*

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He's great. Go get you some. :)

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's OK. Now go catch up! :)

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

11. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

LOL! Wow Paul Weller gets no love on these boards at all.

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The only Weller I know plays the cyborg RoboCop.

13. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OMG you saw Paul Weller? Omg that is so amazing!!! Omg. I wish I was you! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Who the heck is Paul Weller?????? :confused:

14. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

15. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Lee, I am Californian born and raised and I definitely grew up with The Jam and Style Council and know who Paul Weller is. I was into all the early English music, The Selecter, The English Beat, The Specials, Judge Dredd, Prince Buster, the list is endless. Then later all the English blue beat, ska, punk and the early Oi bands...Funny that I know all that and I am from CA, and no replies from our UK contingent?

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Err... I'm old enough to have covered Jam songs in various bands...

How about sitting around the turntable with the band mates listening to the brand new Clash "London Calling" for the third time and saying "WTF is THAT!?!" and then "How do WE get some of that?"

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Maybe brits aren't posting as most of the thread was between 5-6am in't morning.Paul Weller is a legend at least to those of us of "a certain age".

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Hey! Sounds like you've been raiding my iTunes library. ;) (Though less punk & oi, more ska & bluebeat. more. MORE! MORE!).

I tend to "rediscover" ska about every 4 years or so and listen to nothing but for a long while. Drives my wife nuts. Now of course this'll happen less since I have constant access to more of my music.

Re: Paul Weller, for some bizarre reason the Jam and his solo work never resonated as well with me as the Style Council did. Pure pop goodness with a good helping of social consciousness, a bit like the (English) Beat. The "Singular Adventures of the Style Council" compilation is a permanent highly rated fixture on my iPod. One of these years I'll probably replace my individual Style Council & Jam LPs with CDs into iTunes.

Speaking of the Beat, Dave Wakeling usually puts on a good show if you ever get a chance to see him live. He often plays here in SoCal since he lives here, though he is sometimes billed as the English Beat or General Public.

B

19. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

You have great taste in music balamw! "Singular Adventures of the Style Council" is definitely an all time classic album. Listening to some Desmond Dekker right now. Using iLink I have started converting all my old LP's to digital and then into iTunes. It only costs $35 and works great. :D

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Don't worry, we're awake(ish) now.

Honestly... don't they teach you anything at school these days? ;)

Glad to hear you enjoyed the show, leekohler. Paul's one of my all time favourite musicians (which I suppose puts me at that 'certain age', Peterkro). In contrast with what a few other people have said, I prefer his solo work and stuff with The Jam over The Style Council. One good aspect of his live shows is that he plays material from his whole career, not just the stuff since he went solo.

Me and the missus saw him play live at Dalby Forest last summer – it was a great show, despite the heavy rain (it was open air!).

21. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Paul Weller was great in the Jam, absolutely and strangely crap in the Style Council (cardies round the shoulders Paul? What was that about?) and has been fabulous ever since.

"Wildwood" is one of my favourite albums, and I often use it as an example of great production in class.

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, it was the Eighties... :p

23. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

I liked The Style Council when I was in high school and I remember when they performed at Live Aid.

They didn't have that much success in the USA as far as I can remember, I used to hear their songs on this syndicated radio show back in the 80's (I think it was called Rock Over London or something like that....)

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

25. Dalriada macrumors 6502

Lucky you... thanks for the reminder, I'm now humming Going Underground having grown up with The Jam and good ole Mr Peel.

An awake Brit... :)

- Dal