Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
This is my view on the whole thing.

I just got a 60 GB iPod Video - White.

I know that my screen will scratch over time and I accept that, and you should too.

When Apple released the iPod, it's purpose was really simple: make people happy, by giving them a convenient way to listen to music anywhere. I highly doubt any of you who keep (excuse the loose use of this word) whining, about your iPod's hairline scratches, have, in the last few days, turned your iPod on and played a few tunes, and enjoyed them, while not being sub-consious about your iPod being scratched in your pocket. I have. I did it today.

Now for the people who DON'T have hairline scratches, I'm sorry that your iPod looks like it got ran over by a D-R Field and Brush mower, but I absolutely refuse to believe that you got those (not scratches) dents from normal use.

But for the rest of the hairline whiners, go get your iPod, turn it on, play a song, put it down, and enjoy it. Okay? :)

If you're not going to be happy when you're using your iPod, then you may as well not have one. And if you're gonna make that big of a deal about a screen, buy a Shuffle.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I don't own an iPod and haven't so far in my life. Blasphemy I know.

But I do worry about the stories of (mainly) Nanos which are getting these hairline scratches just from walking around with it in your pocket it or leaving it on the couch or just from touching it. If this is the case, Apple has to accept that the iPod in question has a flaw.

However, I don't accept that 'normal' use includes keeping an iPod (unprotected) in a pocket with coins and keys, that to me is just stupid.Why waste $200 on an iPod and not look after it?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
As far as I am concerned, the move from firewire ruined the iPod allure. USB is total crap... it really is.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
It... is... a... Music... Player...

I would have liked firewire as well due to the coolness factor I think it has. But USB 2 is 80 MPBS faster and it works anywhere just about. Stop overanalyzing the connection interface and listen to a song.

rule a) Don't sweat the small ****.
rule b) Everything is small ****.

slimflem

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
i agree, enjoy the music, stop worrying about some small scratches, things happen. Enjoy it, use it, otherwise, get rid of it. I think it's ridiculous all the complaining and suing going on over this. People are too whinny these days. Maybe it's because our society (America) is being a nanny society and everyone feels they should be babied and get their way all the time. I'm not exaclty sure, but things need to change.

good thread

deanwaterman

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Minneapolis, Minnesota
And how did you see to type all this while you were looking down your nose? Opinions are great, but being rude to people who have voiced concerns is not the best way to win friends on here.

I have a 5G and I am aware that it will scratch, so I have it still wrapped in the Don't Steal Music wrapper until I get a great case. I have already had one 5G iPod and it scratched terribly within a few days, that is why they replaced it. My 4G iPod was much better...

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
My post wasn't intended to offend anyone. It's just my own opinion because I'm so sick of people griping about the issue. If you haven't blown the issue completely out of proportion on the other thread then this dosen't apply to you. Oh, here we go.

Lets turn this thread into the "I don't have any problems with my iPod video" thread. Really now. People always post about their problems, and that's all people read. So here's something different. Lets hear your story of how you're happy with your video iPod, or iPod nano. Or shuffle, or mini. or First Generation 5GB. If you're satisfied, tell your story.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
I just think it would be nice if keeping a $300 music player in a 100% cotton khaki pocket for 30 minutes didn't scratch it. That's only my opinion. Of course there are plenty of other music players that don't scratch in a pocket, but the iPod has an Apple logo on it which makes it immune to all criticism. Fall in line and agree or stay silent. Think different? No - think exactly the same as us, or else shut up.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
ryan42 said:

I would have liked firewire as well due to the coolness factor I think it has. But USB 2 is 80 MPBS faster and it works anywhere just about.

I agree 100% that it is a music player!

However for some of us we like the virsitility that the Firewire gave us. USB 2.0 is only 80 MBPS faster in "prime conditions". Also, the problem isn't the coolness factor, or the speed for many of us. The big issue (for some including myself) is the fact that we cannot boot our Macintosh systems off of USB 2.0 .

Intel may change this, but not many of us have intel macintosh computers yet to utilize this feature. :D

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Agree with the thread creator, but on the other hand (as the economist in me goes...)

I have to say, I tend to agree more with ryan42 on this issue. However, I think there is a middle ground in all of this.

The iPod is a music player, yes, and as long as it plays music fine and well, then hurrah for the iPod and all that. If you bought your iPod because, well, everyoneelsehasoneandthey'recoolandyou'renotcoolunlessyouhaveone, then I don't have very much sympathy for you. If you were really thoughtful and educated about your purchase, then you would know what to expect and we wouldn't have all of this whining. Instead of a lawsuit, we would simply have people not buying the iPod, and sending Apple a message with our dollars instead of with our lawyers.

On the other hand, ryan42 and all others that say "stop with the whining already!", surely you can understand people being upset when they drop a few hundred on a device and it becomes easily marred. If it was an iPod shuffle, or something of similar price, then I would whole-heartedly join in the "quit whining" crowd.

I guess my point is, is that people on both sides just need to calm down. Each person needs to learn about the product, evaluate that against their expectations, make a wise decision, and be prepared to deal with the consequences of that decision.

This way, we wouldn't have people whining about scratches on their iPod "as soon as they take it out of the box," and we wouldn't have people whining about the whiners.

As for me, I'm getting a 5g black 30gb iPod for myself for xmas, fully aware of the scratching issue, and fully prepared to take care of it as I see fit.

Peace.

-DCBass.

dbhays

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2005
Salinas, CA
My Nano

You know, I don't post around here much. I read every day though. I have been following the scratching issue with much interest. I bought the Nano the first day they were out. It came two days later. Of course, back then, the scratching issue hadn't come out yet. Here is my scratch story.

I unpackaged the nano, put it one the table, read the directions. plugged it into my ibook, transfered music, unplugged it, picked it up, and plugged in the earbuds. When I went to scroll through the music, I noticed atleast 15 scratches across the screen. I swear to God! I never dropped it, never let the cat play with it. I just sat it on the table and charged it and transfered music.

I was not really mad, just a bit bewildered. As of today, my Nano is really scratched to hell. The only place I use it is in the car. It goes right into the glove box, safely secured so it will not bounce around. I have never carried it in my pocket or taken it out and about. It goes from the secured holder in the glove box to a table to charge!

I love my nano, I wish it were not scratched, but I will live with it. I just wish some people would understand that some of us have really not abused them. They just scratch very easily. I hope that other Nanos don't do this and good to the people that have one that doesn't. I just firmly believe a product that costs so much shouldn't be so easily damaged. /end rant.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
ryan42 said:

It... is... also... a... Video... Player...

/wouldn't tolerate an oversensitive television screen that scratches when dust touches it

//won't tolerate it on an iPod, either

DPazdanISU

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Near Chicago
lol lol lol
I have a nano, no case, leave it all around, jeans yadi yadi yada, looks great. I think some people have weird fobias about tiny scratches. They need medical help

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
dbhays said:
I unpackaged the nano, put it one the table, read the directions. plugged it into my ibook, transfered music, unplugged it, picked it up, and plugged in the earbuds. When I went to scroll through the music, I noticed atleast 15 scratches across the screen. I swear to God! I never dropped it, never let the cat play with it. I just sat it on the table and charged it and transfered music.

This has to be a bit of hyperbole. Did gnomes scratch your nano when you weren't looking?

DPazdanISU said:
I have a nano, no case, leave it all around, jeans yadi yadi yada, looks great. I think some people have weird fobias about tiny scratches. They need medical help.

Thank God for someone with some sanity around here. I have been ignoring this "issue" for a while, but I have to comment.

My 4G iPod got very small scatches on the screen and the back just from using it as well. Then I got a case. And guess what, it still gets scratched a bit.

Take a deep breath people. They are expensive, but you bought it to use it, right? Hell my cell phone is beat up badly, but I am not suing Sanyo because it got scratched while I was using it and while it was in my pocket...and my cell cost about the same as my iPod.

Is there an issue with some of these iPods? Maybe. But there are also a lot more people buying them now, and perhaps many of these new owners have unrealistic expectations of the "durability" of the iPod. I think they expect it to be like kevlar or something.

My 4G has minor scratches, my sister in law's 3G has minor scratches and she does not use a case at all. They both have exceeded our expectations and are a joy to use. If some minor, and I can't stress minor enough here, scratches on your iPod bother you, either get a case, keep it at home in a vacuum sealed container, or buy something else.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
alex_ant said:
USB 2.0 is NEVER faster than Firewire 1, EVER, EVER, PERIOD. Only on paper is it faster. In the real world Firewire is as much as 50% faster.
I agree that firewire is faster. But in my privat benchmark test, FW 400 was more than 150% faster than USB 2 (145 Mbit/s vs. 57 Mbit/s) in transferring music to the Pod.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Oh my god, I think I am going insane listening to people comment about scratches and comparing ipods to TVs and cell phones. Lets all keep in mind people that the ipod is a PORTABLE device, very much UNLIKE a TV that sits in one place 99% of its life. Additionally, many phones are a flip style and the screen is more protected.
The thing is not a museum piece. I try to treat mine like it is so that it will last longer, look better etc, but I expect that it will start to show signs of wear as I am out and about with it.
If scratches were to diminish the quality of the music or the operability of the device, then I might be more upset.

Here is a great correlation. I bought by G5, had a problem with it, took it back to the store to get it fixed. In the process of transporting it, the case got scratched, (yes the aluminum case does mar rather easily). It was not that big of a deal. Yes I was ticked off, but I was not yelling at/suing Apple over a "defect". Again, defects are products not working or being DOA. Not you having a different standard than Apple on quality of materials.

Please everyone just man up (or woman) and buy a case and stop bringing up wasteful law suits over SCRATCHES!!!!!

My rant is over.......

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
840quadra said:
I agree 100% that it is a music player!

However for some of us we like the virsitility that the Firewire gave us. USB 2.0 is only 80 MBPS faster in "prime conditions". Also, the problem isn't the coolness factor, or the speed for many of us. The big issue (for some including myself) is the fact that we cannot boot our Macintosh systems off of USB 2.0 .

Intel may change this, but not many of us have intel macintosh computers yet to utilize this feature. :D

I agree. I wanted to be able to boot my Mac off of my iPod. For what it's worth, you can possibly boot another OS like OS 9.1 or Linux. I have a 160 GB external drive that had OS X on it once, and if I held apple/option I could see the drive and OS X started to boot but gave me the NO logo. So I think it's more of an OS X problem than Mac problem.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
alex_ant said:
USB 2.0 is NEVER faster than Firewire 1, EVER, EVER, PERIOD. Only on paper is it faster. In the real world Firewire is as much as 50% faster.

I've copied my music from my iTunes Library (10GB) to my old 20GB iPod (Firewire) and to my new iPod Video, hands down the 3 year old Firewire version copies faster than the USB 2.0 version (and that wasn't copying any Video content either).

USB 2.0 sucks, why do people bother with it? (I'm thinking for Windows users?) Seriously Firewire 400 is faster and Firewire 800 kills anything.

I hope with the next iPod updates they bring out a Firewire 800 version:D

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
ryan42 said:
Now for the people who DON'T have hairline scratches, I'm sorry that your iPod looks like it got ran over by a D-R Field and Brush mower, but I absolutely refuse to believe that you got those (not scratches) dents from normal use.

If you're not going to be happy when you're using your iPod, then you may as well not have one. And if you're gonna make that big of a deal about a screen, buy a Shuffle.

I have an old Nokia non-flip phone that the DW has had juggling around in her purse for *years* and the plastic over the LCD is in nearly-new condition. I just saw someone's 30 GB video iPod (that I recommended she buy) and it had some "blemishes" (almost looked like oil smudges from one's finger) but they won't come out.. they are shallow scatches/blurring. It's 1 week old and I had warned her about the screen - she says she always kept it in the case.

Why would one defend Apple so much when there are other products out there that PROVE more durable screens exist? There is nothing fancy about my Nokia phone...

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
ryan42 said:
I agree. I wanted to be able to boot my Mac off of my iPod. For what it's worth, you can possibly boot another OS like OS 9.1 or Linux. I have a 160 GB external drive that had OS X on it once, and if I held apple/option I could see the drive and OS X started to boot but gave me the NO logo. So I think it's more of an OS X problem than Mac problem.

Unfortunately you are wrong. You can't boot a PPC Mac from USB drives. USB relies on entirely different hardware structure than Firewire. A key difference is that firewire does not require the CPU and is supported by OpenFirmware (the Apple version of BIOS).

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
Unfortuantely I'm not. It started to load off the drive. It showed it in the option-key menu. I just got the prohibit sign when OS X started to load. May it make a difference that I have an add on USB 2.0 card? I'll post pics if you like.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
ryan42 said:

I would have liked firewire as well due to the coolness factor I think it has. But USB 2 is 80 MPBS faster and it works anywhere just about. \

People don't use the FW cuz its ''cool'' they use it becuz it faster then the USB 2
FireWire stays at about the same speed when its being used, were the USB changes though out used so well a USB might be a 480MBPS for a minutes it would drop down to 200MPBS for the rest of the time when FW is a constant 400MPBS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.