To all you Macbook Pro users.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mike2q, Mar 30, 2006.

1. mike2q macrumors member

Mar 9, 2006
    The apple site lists the Macbook Pro as 1-2 business days. Its time to buy if I’m going to.
    I know these questions have been asked before but I want to get everyone’s overall opinion.
    1. Is the 2.0 model worth $2300 (student discount)? Price to performance, how does it compare to PC laptops? I'm talking about raw power, not Mac vs. pc. (Sorry but it does have an Intel chip and these comparisons will be inevitable from now on.)
    2. Does anyone use it as a "laptop"? I'm typing this with my Toshiba on my lap as we speak. It’s warm but not uncomfortable. Does yours get too hot to use this way?
    3. I love the idea of installing windows on my macbook. Since Vista is coming out next year should I wait for the Merom processor or will I be able to install Vista just as easily on my duo 32 as a 64bit chip? (Don’t respond with the "why do you want to install windows on a Mac" question. My answer is that I want a Mac and I want windows. It’s just that simple.)
    4. I keep hearing it has 3.5 hour battery life. If I use conseritive settings and a wi-fi card can I still expect 3.5 hours? That’s about the minimum I would like from an ultra light.
    5. For people who have had experience with Apple. How long (do you believe) it will be before they require a 64bit chip to run new software? Will they give me at least 4-5 years of support before cutting me off?

I strongly appreciate all of your support. As I am a student this is a huge investment for me. I can't afford to make a bad decision.

2. jsw123 macrumors member

Mar 19, 2006
    1. no, i dont think there are enough upgrades to qualify the 500 premium. especially for students like you and me., i use it all the time on my lap. hardly any discomfort
    3. yes, if you already have a laptop its well worth the wait for merom and vista
    4.yes, i get three hours or more most of the time (currently 75%, 2:40)
    5. 4 or 5 years is pushing it, technology changes too fast.
  3. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2005
    I own a stock 1.83 MBP and it consistently gets over four hours of battery life with best settings, 1 bar of brightness and using Safari/iTunes with headphones/etc. However, my MBP gets pretty warm. I'm not able to comfortably let it rest on my bare legs, but when I rest it on my pants it's fine.

Unless you REALLY need a laptop, I'd recommend the iMac Core Duo. It's basically a cheaper MBP on a stand with a bigger screen, and the MBP has tons of problems. The iMac is basically perfect. ;)
  4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I don't ahve a MBP so I can't answer your questions. But you may want to reconsider using your laptop on your lap.
  5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    I second that. iMac's are very, very good deals. Laptops are great, but if I could go back in time, I'd trade my iBook for an iMac.
  6. mike2q thread starter macrumors member

Mar 9, 2006
    I think questions 3 & 5 are the most important to me.
  7. jimN macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2005
    3. Can't see microsoft alienating the whole laptop market by expecting 64bit chips for people to run vista. As it stands the core duo really is the latest thing from intel so I can't see it not working with vista.

5. Apple has pretty much said that we'll see PPC supported for 4-5 years (and given people are still running G3 and early G4 system), there seems to be no reason to doubt this.

With regards to value for money, I don't know about the worth of the 2 over the 1.8 but the MBPs have been benched as running XP quicker than most XP laptops (see whole page 2 news). Although I think they were comparing a 2.13 MBP to 2.0 PC if you take into account the lack of proper graphics support that's no mean feat.

I envy you. I wish I could justify upgrading but my laptop probably has years left in it (and given the extended warranty I have it is in my best interests to run the poor thing into the ground).
  8. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I don't see Apple or any other company going 100% 64-bit anytime soon. There are few advantages in doing so and in some applications, 64-bit is actually a slower route as you have more data to go through per clock cycle. A 100% 64-bit OS would require yet, ANOTHER transition. Mac OS X isn't 100% 64-bit compatible even today. They're website is kinda filling you full of crap in saying that Tiger takes full advantage of a 64-bit CPU. It really doesn't take true advantage of 64-bit processing, even if you have a G5. In order for Apple to make a full 100% compatible 64-bit OS, you'll need 64-bit drivers, 64-bit apps, etc... Doing things in 32-bit mode defeats the purpose of going 64-bit IMO. So again, its not something I'd worry about on either platform.

No one can confirm this currently as the OS isn't even released yet, but I don't see any problems with installing Vista on your MacBook Pro if you buy one today. It probably won't be as easy as stick the Vista installer in and let it run as if the Mac were a PC, but it will be most likely possible using xponmac software or something like that. Rumor has it that Apple may be implementing something like VPC into OS X.5 (Leopard) so Apple may make it very easy for you if they do so.

I also agree with the iMac. If you don't need portability, then get the iMac. You'll get a better computer at a cheaper price.
  9. truz macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2006
    I would also consider going with a imac over a macbook pro :)

You can have a fully upgraded imac 20" for less then the price of a macbook pro

(iMac Intel 2.0Ghz, 20", 2GB ram, 256mb vram) ($2,250 with applecare) With student discounts you should save just on taxes apple makes you pay so look at spending $2,250 out the door and gaining a nice screen. I honestly think the macbookpro is a bit high in price myself.. If you do buy one your better off getting it from as they offer a rebate plus no sales tax so you save more with then with and using student discounts.
  10. ieani macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2006
    the states for now
    2) i played world of warcraft on it and had no discomfort
  11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Only Vista's 64-bit version will support EFI booting, which is what the Intel Macs use. As we've seen, XP can boot on a Mac, but native EFI support will make it much easier. Vista will have a 32-bit version, but EFI support has (reportedly) been dropped from it.
    That said, I don't think waiting for Vista is a good idea. You may never get around to buying that MBP. :p
  12. corywoolf macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2004
    I wouldn't say the MBP has "TONS" of problems. I haven't had any with my 1.83 Ghz MBP.
  13. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    No, no, no, yes, probably.

Blunt, but straightforward.
  14. cherry38 macrumors member

Mar 20, 2006
    Yes. I am a student and purchasing the 2.0 has officially made dirt poor. It's amazing. However, as I have had one with a whine, I would recommend buying it an Apple store so that you can exchange it within the first 2 weeks if you have a whiner. I did that and I am extremely pleased now.

I haven't done many "tests" but I have repeatedly tried over-doing it many times and it has excelled, even with the stock 2.0. It even performs naturally with Rosetta programs. I'm more than impressed with its power.

I use mine as a laptop. It gets hot, but it's not too hot where you would be touching it. Definitely toasty though. Its so responsive when waking from sleep that it works great as a laptop (I put it to sleep when I leave my dorm and go to class; starts back up in literally seconds when I open it up in class).

Haven't tried; but honestly, as I understand it, I can't imagine it would be too slow on this machine.

I always have bluetooth and wireless on and I get at least 3 hours every time. I haven't paid much attention to exact battery time, but is equal to if not better than the IBM Thinkpad R51 that it replaced. I run it on high-performance battery settings, so I would expect it to get at least 3.5 hours.

I would think so...but obviously I can't guarantee it.

What I can honestly say is that this is probably the best $2300 that you can spend on a laptop right now. I do definitely recommend buying it an Apple Store, which unfortunately means tax (cost me around $2450). was nice to be able to just walk in and get a replacement when I had the LCD whine.

As a student I feel your stress - but seriously, I am happy to be in debt with my MBP!! :D
  15. jimN macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2005
    I thought that vista wasn't going to be on EFI in the end because of teh lack of legacy support. Pretty sure that was reported somewhere. May be wrong of course, often am.
  16. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006
    Waupun, WI
    Macbook Pro is not an ultra light. It is a 15" pro machine
    with a brighter than normal display and a dual core
    processor. I wouldn't place it in that category. The
    battery will never last as long as one in an ultra-light.

I hate working on an even mildly dim screen, so I use
    the brightest setting and say battery life be damned.

I still get at least 2.5 if not 3 hours of battery life
    doing normal tasks this way.
  17. abates25 macrumors member

Feb 16, 2003
    Question 1. Yes, it has the raw power. It can't be fully utilized yet when running Windows as a lot of the drivers required haven't been written yet, but when running a ub on the OS X-side (like iPhoto) it really is incredible.

Question 2. I use mine as a laptop all the time. It is cooler than my 1Ghz Titanium was. But that was hot to the point of being uncomfortable even with jeans on. This one is just warm.

Question 3. I think you could sit around speculating one whether to buy it or not for ages, especially if you are basing your decision on when MS might release an OS, and what the OS might actually have. This is an excellent machine, and out of the six I have purchased, only one has had the whining issue. If you want to wait for rev. b, that might be an idea, but waiting for an OS? Waste of time...

Question 4. Seems better than my Titanium was, but like others here have stated, I use my at full performance regardless of if I am plugged in or not. I have yet to have needed more than two hours of battery and I really haven't drained it yet, 30-something percent was the lowest I got and that was after a little more than two hours.

Question 5. As for 64-bit processing, you should be good for four. Maybe five years. When the 68xxx transition happened to the powerpc chip, we were all promised longer support than we actually got, and apple has a way of overpromising in terms of support, then not meeting the expectations they've set. But I don't see even 10.5 being a true 64-bit system, and you should have a couple years beyond the first 64-bit system release before you start noticing lack of support by people, apple included.

Finally...well, if you have the cash, get one. Work paid for mine; if it was me paying, I might have considered getting a mini and a macbook rather than a macbook pro (I *loved* the iBook after they put the G4 chip in there, it was a great value). But I am really very pleased with my MBP so far.
  18. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    this thread is a good read..

I've had my MBP for two, almost three days now, and switched from windoze.

My machine luckily has no issues that i've read about on this forum (noises or pixels, or anything).. it's very solid, and very powerful.

The profile (size) of the machine is pretty good. when I opened it for the first time I 'felt' like i was looking at a 17" laptop. it's just so 'wide'!! pretty cool. The quality of the machine is good. the keys are nice, etc.

this machine does get 'hot'. I was using it for several hrs on my lap last night (wearing tracksuit pants)... and found myself moving it from one leg to the other, or other areas due to the slight discomfort. having said that I wouldnt say its a bad thing about the machine. I should probably work on a more stable surface anyway.

the screen on this thing blew my mind... it's pretty wild how it adjusts it's own brightness depending on the ambient lighting of the room... and when my keyboard 'lit up' for the first time, i was... "wow"... haha

so far it's been nothing other than a real pleasure to use. I've not really accomplished anything with it yet because I'm still 'discovering' MAC OS X and tinkering (widgets, apps, settings, etc).

I sat down at work this morning to my boring PC and attempted to "two finger scroll" my way around a web page... only to look down and find i have a cheap kbd and mouse, no trackpad... haha already im hooked.

This machine cost me a fortune. it's a 2.0, with 2gig ram, i left the rest as standard, I dont really need a faster hdd, i can use an external if i really need it... i didnt want to custom-order a MBP due to the delivery time too.. my apple shop added the ram for me, which was a bonus...

I added applecare (another $570+ aus)... overall it's been expensive. To top things off, I bought two (one for my wife also) which is slightly lower spec than mine... $9k australian, easily spent.

worth it? so far yes. just using the machine makes the expense worth it, you can feel the power, and see the quality..

-no i dont work for apple- hah

looking forward to really putting this machine through it's paces!