To any Citizens of Great Britain: Thank You

Discussion in 'Community' started by patrick0brien, Jan 31, 2003.

1. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Hear ye

I'm not sure if it's the scotch, or a moment of clarity, but having just seen the [recap] of the joint news conference between Tony Blair and George W. Bush, I felt I needed to say something, that hopefully trancends these difficult times we all seem to live in.

We citizens of the United States (some call us "Americans") owe you thanks. You may not have been the only voice in the settlement and creation of my nation, but you were the loudest.

Now, 226 years and a number of months later (some fellow Mac user would call me on saying 227 years) and two world wars we shared, we still find that we are brothers in this place.

Yes, Americans have been accused of arrogance, but so have you.

Who really cares?

It's actions that speak, and our nations, one borne of the other, are the true leaders of the planet. And I'm sure others, perhaps Russia, and even China will soon join us.

No nation stands alone. And I for one American, appreciates you. For my nation wouldn't and couldn't exist without you and yours.

If you'll excuse me, I have a bottle of Glenlivet calling me. Yes, I'm of Irish heritage :D

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: To any Citizens of Great Britain: Thank You

Classic :)

To all Britons: Your prime minister is a lap dog! Vote him out!

3. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: To any Citizens of Great Britain: Thank You

Hello, UK calling! I think its good that America and the UK are standing together on this. Nobody wants war, but, I cant see a way around it!

He is not a lap dog! He is right, we have had people being arrested because traces of chemical weapons have been found! They were planning an attack which was stopped. Another plan was foiled in france to attack the UK! The point is, that the world has to stop "mad" people getting weapons of mass destruction!

4. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

5. iGav macrumors G3

I support and back our PM 100%...... in his current efforts.... ;)

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yes, he's a creepy little m****rf****r generally, but his politics are sound and he's usually right about the big stuff.

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

The Creation of America

Talking of participants, have you noticed which way FRANCE and GERMANY are leaning. I think the U.N. is being manouvered as a tool in the creation of the United States of Europe. It's the one solid thing (apart from land mass) that holds Europe together. I sense resentment toward America from a lot of the U.S.E. participants. Lets hope we can get Iraq dusted before something redirects any conflict.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Re: Re: To any Citizens of Great Britain: Thank You

To all Britons forget this ant post---- WE LOVE YOUR PRIME MINISTER ITS GOOD FOR COUNTRIES TO HAVE STRONG LEADERS WHO STAND UP FOR DOING WHATS RIGHT!RATHER THEN READING THE POLLS AND THEN MAKING THEIR DECISIONS!VOTE HIM IN AGAIN AND REMEMBER THE ONES THAT WANT HIM OUT ARE JUST LIKE THE DEMOCRATS HERE ( DASCHLE ) WHO WILL SAY ANYTHING IN OPPOSITION BECAUSE THEY WISH THEY HAD THOSE POSITIONS OF LEADERSHIP! GO TONY!

9. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

it's true Tony is the most right wing Lefty P.M. ever. The left will soon be out to get him. Considering most of the UK media is run by lefty liberals this shouldn't take too long once they put their boot in.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for your support. I think Tony Blair is very courageous, understand that he has great opposition to deal with. We do truly have a great bond as a people.

11. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Thank you leaders and citizens of France!

Thank you for courageously standing against our government, the most powerful in the world, to oppose a war on Iraq which will have uncertain consequences and has even less reason.

If only more countries could stand up to the might and will of the US in the face of our overwhelming financial and military strength, we mighht have more balanced and multilateral actions rather than unilateral and opressive moves.

PS- And if any of you take offense to this post, consider how I must have felt as a person opposed to this action. Bush doesn't speak for all of America in his viewpoints and a certainly don't give any thanks to Tony Blair for his "courageous" stance firmly on the side of the most powerful country in the world.

If he thinks it is the righht think to do, I respect him for his stance, but I would never call it courageous.

Taft

12. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

If some propper evidence was found then the the rest of europe would join against Iraq. However, france and germany are saying until they find something, he is not guilty. However, everyone knows he is doing something. What about the 3000 page document about nuclear weapons/power that scientist had? Or, the weapons that we know that they used to have which have not been declared before the inspectors went in.

13. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    dubya has been itching to go to war ever since he got into power. if only 'cause his daddy told him so. he's a muppet, just like tony blair. he's (blurgh) crippling the country with the ridiculous petrol prices (gas). every time i go back to england, it costs me more to drive around and see everyone i need to, than it does for my damn flights! for those of you here in the states, for example, the cost of filling up your denali in england, would be approximately $115 (or about a buck a mile). the country is falling apart, maybe it's because i'm looking at it as an outsider now, it's easier to see certain things from a different perspective...however, blair is, unfortunately the best of a pathetic bunch of politicians in england right now.

14. iGav macrumors G3

What are you on about falling apart??? ultra low unemployment, ultra high employment, low interest rates, low Government borrowing..... and arguably the strongest economy in Europe.... Strong Pound against every other currency in the world..... Fair enough petrol is very expensive, but it is as well in almost every other European country, so we really aren't that much different in that respect!!

I reckon our PM and Chancellor are doing a pretty damn good job, considering the mess they inherited from the Conservatives...... (high unemployment, pushing 4 million at it's worst), f-in stupid interest rates, Government borrowing on levels that were unsustainable, and contributed to a recession that lasted from the 80's till the mid-90's.......

I'm just praying that the Conservatives don't ever get in again, because they're a bunch of upper class, racist out dated f-in morons..... although the Liberal's would likely be even worse....... So we could really do with some decent opposition for the next General Election..... to make it alittle more interesting and a party that can present something alittle better than Iain Duncan Smith..... nuff said!

Thank god we don't have Cherac or Schroeder....... in charge!! one can't control his countries work force.... the other can't sort out his economy....

15. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I'd agree with all that with the proviso that I really can't bring myself to trust Blair too far, sure his policies have put the country into a very good position, but it's the incessent spinning I can't stomach.

I've lived and worked in a number of countries, including the USA, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, certainly not to bring up my daughter.

I'm proud of the support the US and the UK have afforded each other over the years, I think it's right to stand with friends in times of crisis, even if, no especially if, you're not sure wether said friend is right or not;)

Now, if we can just sort out the instutitional racism, the Health Service, public transport and the historical tendancy for the left to self destruct when they are doing well...

16. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

LOL... you're kidding. THE ONLY reason Labour managed a second go was that they hadn't managed to spend all the wealth left by John Major. Taxes are so high now and they're getting higher as I speak. We're gonna be in deep do do very soon. It'll be tax and spend all the way until we meet the crappy tests to join the E.U. for real. The recession of which you spoke centering around BLACK WEDNESDAY was a direct effect of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism. Thank god John Major pulled the plug on that one.

The Pro Europe tories defeated Margret Thatcher and John Major, Labour got in by default. If you don't believe me take a look at the numbers for voters involved. Kind of makes a Joke of it all. or you could just put it down to people being too contented to vote.

Tony wants to be President of The United States of Europe. If you could rule out Europe I could safely vote for a party, Labour or Conservative I don't mind I just know when I'm being rail roaded into the biggest Civil war the world is yet to know.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Constantly amazed!:confused: Saddam could hit the doogooders in the head with a brick and they would still be:confused: saddam could kill their woman & children and they would still be:confused: the world did unite on this killer and they are still:confused: We know what he is doing and done and they are still:confused: Even blix knows he is getting the run around and they are:confused: Face it these people just dont get it and never will! and on this issue iam not:confused: ;)

18. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Somebody found the smilies...how cute.:rolleyes:

19. Ovi macrumors 6502

Re: Thank you leaders and citizens of France!

20. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Re: Thank you leaders and citizens of France!

This is turning into quite the pi**ing match. :rolleyes:

Lets just say, I'm doing fine, and am anything but naive or ignorant.

As my previous post indicated, I reject the notion that Blair is at all courageous. Blair knows that this action won't harm him politically as long as he moves with the US government. It might look bad in the short term to be acting against a slim majority, but he'll do fine.

And why is it that when people speak or act against a war they are considered wimpy or spineless. What if they think the war is not necessary? What if they think it is avoidable?

How certain are you that Iraq poses a threat to our country? 100%? 75%? 50%? Can't you admit that there is the possibility that others think there isn't a need for war and aren't ignorant and naive, but instead informed and still opposed to the action? Have you no respect for others' opinions? Or are you so sure that you really believe I'm just republican bashing, uninformed or naive?

Let me assure you that myself, and many others like me, are none of those things. We are people who believe this is a war without cause. A war in which the motives are misguided and the outcome of which is uncertain and probably damaging, maybe more damaging than we can imagine.

I resent your comments and your attitude.

Taft

21. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Thank you leaders and citizens of France!

personal insults never helped validate one's argument :p

400 sat for you :p :D :D :D

22. GrandShenlong macrumors member

"400 sat for you" Seriously? Don't you get 300 for showing up? (I'm assuming you're talking about SATs)

23. GrandShenlong macrumors member

After reading Ovi's latest post, it seems that this thread is evolving into "we should/shouldn't bomb those d*** Iraqis". I think this thread started as a more purely politically oriented discussion, as oppsed to a "WAR: We Are Right" discussion. if this indeed turns into a "Bomb those f*****s" discussion, I'd have more to say. My two cents.

24. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft