To anyone using OSX 10.2, HOW IS GAMING PERFORMACE?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sevag1, Aug 5, 2002.

1. macrumors member

is it up to par with os 9? better than 10.1????

2. Moderator emeritus

The Carbon-ized games I've played work so much better. That would probably include UT preview but the menus weren't working under 10.2 so I don't know.

3. macrumors 6502

Im scoring much nicer framerates in WC3....also my connection performance seems more stable.(6C115)

4. macrumors 6502a

chibianh

How do you get WC3 to display your frame rates and ping? People suggested I do a /fps while playing, but that doesn't work. How do you do it?

5. macrumors member

Probably unrelated but....does anyone else find their pings in OS X are much higher than when playing the same game in 9? And if so does 10.2 fix this?

6. macrumors 6502

I play it alot, and i noticed alot less jumpiness to my game play, everything was a tiny bit smoother(zooming in for example)

And yeah i get better pings due to my connection having better performance.

Before in 10.1.5 i had to click on Explorer then force quit it and start it again to get my connection to my DSL modem to respond, but now with 10.2 i just start any application that need the net and boom it starts up perfectly....not game related but a good example.

7. macrumors 6502

What seed of 10.2 were you using? One of the only games that I play is UT X. It would be aweful if I couldn't play it anymore. :(

8. zed
    macrumors 6502

i would also like to know how to display the framerate in WC3.... /fps worked for Diablo II....

9. Moderator emeritus

It was the original developer preview. I don't have a high-speed connection, so I'm not downloading a newer seed this close to GM. I'm sure they'll have it all worked out shortly. Maybe preview 4 will be available after Jaguar has been distributed.

10. macrumors regular

it is

Jaguar is being distributed... with all the new macs.
    SO find someone who's bought one of the new macs!

11. macrumors regular

-LMAO-

The original dev preview was crap. The GM is 500% better than the dp1. You'll be quite surprised by the final product. And UT X works better than ever in the GM.

12. Moderator emeritus

That's great to here. I actually had no problems with the preview except for UT X preview. Everything is/was so much faster and smoother.

I doubt I'll be using the GM right away, though, as there still seem to be some incompatibilites with various 3rd party pieces.

13. macrumors 6502

What kind of hardware do you have? Also, what kind of framerates are you getting with that hardware?

Thanks,
    Draft

14. macrumors regular

rrrrrrrrrrrggghhh

I would be able to tell you all about performance under 10.2 for wolfenstein, WC3, and MOH:AA, BUT, my dual gig hasnt been shipped yet. The site said 3-5 days for shipping, it has now been a week and the rep i called today said it HASNT EVEN GOTTEN TO THE MANUFACTURING FLOOR. she mentioned stuff about my not getting it until LABOR DAY or after!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. Moderator emeritus

Bad for you, good for Apple. Hopefully, they'll surprise you early. :)

I just hope it's going really well with new PowerMac sales.

Maybe my copy of 10.2 will arrive before your machine. :)

16. macrumors 6502a

BobVB

Re: rrrrrrrrrrrggghhh

Yeah, I was getting the same run around on an order placed at 7am on the 13th for a stock 1 gig model. I told em where to shove their '1-3 days' and ordered from MacMall - not only did they 'give' me 512 megs of RAM for $39 and not charge me sales tax but, most importantly, the system is on its way as we speak. ;)

17. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Someone please tell us I want to know how to get ping and frame rate too!!!!

18. macrumors 65816

Shrek

How well do games run on an iMac running 10.2?

19. macrumors 6502

Update: In 10.2, UT X gives extremely choppy gameplay with my installation. Is anyone else having this same problem?

Draft

20. macrumors regular

For FPS try

/cg_drawfps 1

21. thread starter macrumors member

digital, thats for q3.