To Apple: Leopard features are nice, but FIX SAFARI!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by M. Malone, Aug 15, 2006.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

there's this really annoying thing that happens with Safari, say your browsing a webpage, you scroll down halfway and see link the interests you, you click it, read the article, ok now you wanna go back, you hit the back button, but it takes you back to the top of the previous page, a second or 2 later, it jumps back down to where it originally was, if within these 2 seconds you try to scroll back to where you were, it will still jump back to where it exactly is, it gets frustrating in a while.

Does anybody else notice this? I noticed this on my G4, but I assumed that it was my machine, I now have a 20" iMac Core Duo with 2 gigs of ram, and still it happens. :confused:

Apple, please get this fixed

2. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I notice it, but use Camino and often find the same on that.

I would take the best of both, add a few extras and have the perfect browser to be honest. One thing that does annoy me about Safari is lack of a Get Info for photos and such.

3. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

When you hit the back button, the page has to load fully before you are returned to the position where you left off. If there is a delay, it's almost always due to links to ad servers, especially those that serve Flash content, because they are generally not cached and serve different content each time you revisit the page. Since hitting the back button constitutes a revisit, the ad servers kick back into gear. It's a major pain in the butt, but it's not Apple or Safari's fault in this instance. Blame the ad serving companies.

4. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Drives me absolutely crazy :eek: - I know exactly what you mean :mad: !

5. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

damn you ad serving companies!!

Excellent explanation, makes a lot of sense, thanks for that :D ...it would be nice if Apple did find a work around though...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is a setting somewhere that... I think SafariSpeed or something like this exploits... that has to do with the order in which a page is displayed. What you would essentially want is that a page gets rendered with placeholders for pictures and the pictures get added in as they go (which is I think the setting that SafariSpeed uses), but possibly also that the position caret is tied to a text position and is sacrosanct. For instance, I know on Windows Mobile 5, which displays pages somewhat slowly in general, one big nuisance is that if you scroll down while the images are loading, say, to the 50% mark of the document, you get automatically scrolled up or down as the height of the document gets changed by images loading above and below your position. Which causes a very similar sort of nuisance.

7. iUserz macrumors member

Firefox on windows does the same thing...happens to me all the time when reading slashdot and digg.
    I just wait for it to finish loading, let it scroll back down to where it should be before doing anything else.

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, they can fix that with a simple code insertion. They could tell the program "when the user clicks the 'back' button, while loading, if the users scrolls down, DO NOT change the position of the scroller tab when the previews page is fully loaded".

And yes, that this is really a pain in the butt.

9. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

According to my friend, this is fixed in Safari 3 in Leopard.

Steve

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

They have fixed it. See WebKit. The feature you want works just fine. Given that, rest assured that they will include this in the next release of Safari.

I can't for the life of me understand why any Safari user would not install WebKit regularly.

11. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

in some cases this actually makes it easier for me.. i don't mind it

12. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I just downloaded WebKit and it takes just as long as Safari does to autoscroll.

13. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

One workaround is to install ad blocking software. There's PithHelmet for Safari if you want to roll the dice on that. It's known for being problematic at times, particularly after Apple updates Safari. Luckily the software's author is notorious for staying on top of Apple updates if they change Safari in any way and promptly releases an update (fix) if PithHelmet is broken. I never used it, however.

Camino has pretty decent ad blocking built-in and the now discontinued Camitools preference add-on is capable of staying relatively current with ad server addresses as well as incorporating Flashblock, which does as the name suggests.

Firefox has it's adblock extension (I use adblock plus, which is a fork of the original adblock and, IMO, has evolved nicely and is now far superior) as well as Flashblock. Adblock is a much more powerful and configurable tool for blocking any and all ad content on a page.