To be brave

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Nov 20, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I may be weak when braking up with some one or under certain circumstances but what I can not stand is to avoid to do what a man have to do.

Right now I'm maintaining the web site of the political opposition in my country, the part of the opposition that is saying "the only way the president quit is using the army against him". It is a bit radical I know.

Any way, as I'm leaving the country I started to look for some one to maintain the web site. I called a guy who worked with me a year 1/2 ago producing web sites. He told me he didn't want to deal with politics and he recommended me another guy, I called that other guy and this one told me 3 days later (because I called him again) that, updating that site was boring and he didn't like that kind of job. The truth is that this guy doesn't have a penny, my client pays very well for the job but the problem is that the guy is a chicken!.

It is hard for a guy to be brave, to stand in front of a problem but, we just have to do it. The girls are the one who get pregnant the guys are the one that have to be brave. I do that all the time, if I like it? no. Sometimes I feel that if I have to hit some one my arm is gonna brake because of how scare I am, but the result is that just by standing up every one else freezes. I know that if I ever have to hit some one I'm gonna be so sure of doing it so well that with one hit is gonna be enough. But I never look for that.

I can not see how some one can be so chicken in managing a web site. What are they are gonna do when they have to stand for his girlfriend? run away? I have seen a lot of that around here, the women are the ones who fight against the National Guard, no the men.

I got upset today about that, how sad. At list the first guy told me the truth. The second one not even that.

If one is a chicken one loose everything. Many people are checking how brave one is, looking for your weak point to take advantage of you.

Just discharging.

2. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Re: To be brave

1:I think I get the gist(I'll excuse your english,)

2: How true this is, it worked for Stalin in the USSR, he set an example that stuck in peoples minds (siberia.)

3: It's a great skill to find and probe a weak point of someone, to find the one emotional button that can tear someone down.

Hope you find someone to manage you website,

3. judith macrumors regular

judith

Hmm, let me see if I get this straight, as I'm sure something is lost in translation:

First you say the girls are the ones who get pregnant (as if that was their singular purpose)- the guys are supposed to be fighting (as if bravery were inherent to men).
    Then you say the girls are the only ones with the courage to fight.(a little bit more determined to defend their children?)
    Except in the wording (you might not want to say it quite like that - the preganant fighting ones might get pissed) Not much will be different here in the States. That is: women not being afraid to do what "a man's gotta do".

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Actually, its not as much translation as culture clash. Do a little searching on some of mymemory's posts from a year ago or so ;)

But I understand what you're saying mymemory. No one wants to stand up and stick out from the crowd. Putting aside the man/woman issue, it might be more of a self preservation thing.

Is there any chance that you could be arrested or 'disappear' because of your involvement with this website?

D

5. judith macrumors regular

judith

@ mymemory and MrA:
    I apologize, sometimes my tendency towards sarcasim gets the better of me. (please don't loose the chickens)
    The gravity of these issues shouldn't be made light of, and I am extremely grateful that my daily stresses are trivial by comparison.
    I must agree with mymemory that it is a sad situation when men don't have the courage to stand up for their families, their land, their way-of-life, etc. I also understand that dying in the process may not be doing the best for your family. Each has their individual situation to assess. I personally would consider myself the type of person to be involved with this type of project, but if that meant a threat to my children, I might be convinced otherwise. Nothing about these situations is black and white - it's all gray.
    My knowledge of the politcal unrest in this area of the world is limited. I have worked with people from Guatemala and Venenzuela, and have heard much about the day-to day life in some areas of these countries. I think it very courageous of you to assume the management of a politically-oriented website. Is it possible for you to maintain the site from outside the country?
    Can you post the URL? I'm interested in the content.

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: To be brave

Given the situation in Venezuala it appears that armed revolt is the only way to remove Chavez.