Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uguubot

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Minnesota
I'm off at work 3 hours from an Apple store, but will definitely take the time to drive down and get one on Thursday if I am likely to obtain one.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm off at work 3 hours from an Apple store, but will definitely take the time to drive down and get one on Thursday if I am likely to obtain one.

I think on this occasion they'll likely have a 7 day shipping leadtime. The reason I say that is the sheer secrecy behind the event and the lack of leaks.

Reactions: MareLuce

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
To be honest we should forget what things were like historically as - so many things influence these things that whether they did or didn't in the past, will have no correlation to how it will be this time. So many things are out of Apples control (supply wise) that it could be either way.

Reactions: Cougarcat and Bo15

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Historically they are but there have been exceptions with non notebook macs.
I believe there were occasions where the MBP was not available immediately, so its completely conceivable that they will not be available on the same day.

We'll find out soon enough

Reactions: arefbe

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
If we go by recent releases, like the 12" MacBook and the iPad Pro they will be "available" the same day, but in reality that means like 3 units per store and a small amount allotted for same day shipping, then everyone else has to wait 3 weeks for online orders. And store availability will be zero for the next 2 months. Just basing this on all of apple's horrible product launches for the past 2 years. If these come in multiple colors expect it to be even worse.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
If we go by recent releases, like the 12" MacBook and the iPad Pro they will be "available" the same day, but in reality that means like 3 units per store and a small amount allotted for same day shipping, then everyone else has to wait 3 weeks for online orders. And store availability will be zero for the next 2 months. Just basing this on all of apple's horrible product launches for the past 2 years. If these come in multiple colors expect it to be even worse.

As a U.K. Resident we don't see this, it really does depend where you are.

Reactions: myscrnnm

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Would it be available right after the presentation in-store? Don't know whether it's worth driving up before closing (9:30) or going up next day.

No idea, to be honest all this sensationalism and obsession just makes me laugh, I love my Mac but it is just a computer!!!

Reactions: uecker87

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

This. The MacBook was actually nearly a month wait even if you ordered the same day. Bestbuy had them in stock weeks before the apple store did.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
My guess is "no", because Apple really strained the supply chain for components for the iPhone 7.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Re-watching the 2012 MacBook Pro announcement, Phil Schiller said that the MacBook Pro with Retina Display would start "shipping" that same day. Does anyone remember if that meant you could walk into an Apple Store that day and buy one? And if so, was it when the store opened, or when the keynote had ended?

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Since macOS 10.12.1 was released to the public on Monday, I believe it's safe to say that the new Macs will probably be shipping day of announcement. Good chance they can be bought in-store same day as well, or maybe Friday/Monday, but stock will probably be "limited."

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Sometimes there are issues with supply chain. Happens all the time. We will know tomorrow

ryanbates

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
San Diego, CA
As someone who used to work for Apple Retail we typically always got them same day but there were a few instances where it was the next day. When the original rMBP was announced we had a ton of boxes show up to our store but we couldn't open them until the announcement was over.

We litereally sat in the back watching the announcement and as soon as it was over we cracked open the boxes.

jjiangweilan

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
As someone who used to work for Apple Retail we typically always got them same day but there were a few instances where it was the next day. When the original rMBP was announced we had a ton of boxes show up to our store but we couldn't open them until the announcement was over.

We litereally sat in the back watching the announcement and as soon as it was over we cracked open the boxes.

Can I go to store and watch with you guys? LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.