To be repaired or to be replaced?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zetto, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Zetto macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Just got off from the phone with applecare, and they offered me two option for my MBP(coreduo 2.16). First, to bring it back to the service center & get it repaired. Second, to replace it with a new one because of the repair history (might take ~two weeks to get the new one no including holidays).
    It got the superdrive, logic board, AC adapter & some assembly for the internal fan. All these in the last two month ( two visits to the service center & two weeks for each, so basically without a MBP for a month).
    The thing is the problem that annoys me the most it never got repaired.
    The left internal fan runs loud/noisy when the machine is hot. First time, the service center checked and tested ok (they said :rolleyes: ). So... bought it back & the problem still there. I needed the MBP for work, so didn't bother to brought the machine in again. Up until the fan started to run really loud. Ran the apple hardware test and it came out with a code. Called apple support and they said it's the logic board. Went to the service center again. Go it back last thursday and they said logic board replaced, firmware updated and tested ok.
    This morning the fan starts to run really loud again. :mad: , so phone applecare and they offered the two option.

To those who got their product replaced under applecare, do you got the lastest model? In my case, would I get a ref. MBP or MBPC2D?

By bringing back to the service center, I might get it back faster.

So... which option should I take :confused:

2. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I'd probably try to get it replaced with a new one. I've heard a few stories in which they've replaced items with refurbished units, but more often than not, I believe that they'll just give you a new one. I'd talk to the person at Apple about that before going ahead with it though. However, I don't know if I'd want them to just repair the computer, given the problems you've had.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i'd demand a new MBP (C2D). if they refuse that, it seems you have no other choice but to accept the CD MBP or send it to 'em for more repairs.

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

6. Zetto thread starter macrumors newbie

Talk to apple and they are sending the labels, so I can send the unit back to get the new one. :D
    They said I'll get a new one with the same spec. as I have now (2.16CD/1G/100GB/V256M), but with 120GB since it doesn't come with 100GB. no C2D? :confused:
    will check again when I call them to release the new one. :eek: