to Bootcamp or not to bootcamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iwamas, May 9, 2006.

1. iwamas macrumors member

Feb 26, 2006
    Amman, Jordan
    My 17" MBP should arrive any day now... I was wondering what everyone though about bootcamp... is it worth installing or not? there are some nice windows programs that i wouldn't mind being able to run once in a while off of my MBP, but nothing major... Also, how much space does installing XP take up on the HDD???

Any help would be appreciated...
  2. tombarnes macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2006
    Cornwall, United Kingdom

Bootcamp partitions your hard disk with 5GB being the default for the Windows partition. 5GB is also the minimum, so you can choose the size of the windows partition from 5GB upwards. I installed bootcamp and windows purely out of curiousity. And i was impressed! After the Apple drivers have been instaled into windows, (the drivers are burnt onto a blank CD which you need to provide - bootcamp makes the CD for you) the resolution is perfect, and everything works, even the built-in isight! I got rid of the Windows partition 'cos i'd never use it, but it definately works very well! And REALLY REALLY fast, like much much faster than my Windows XP Tablet PC! It is sooo nippy running under bootcamp, its like having a normal windows PC at Mac speeds!

Considering bootcamp is a beta, its is very reliable!

Have fun!!!