To BTO or Not To BTO...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MegaSignal, Jul 1, 2004.

1. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    No Doubt this has been discussed here before, but here goes again:

With regard to the G5 and the BlueTooth option, what would you do? BTO orders take longer to fill and also cause additional problems if the computer needs to be returned within the 10 grace period, but without it, a USB port must be used.

No doubt an extra drive, and, to a lesser extent, memory can be added at a later date without much risk, but the BlueTooth option appears to be a one-shot deal with respect to the built-in option.

Thanks all in advance for your input and advice!
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I originally was annoyed that I couldn't get BT on my G5 because I bought it in my local Apple Store (15 miles north in New Hampshire, where there's no sales tax...).

I still would get it included if I bought a BTO. Just easier - though you do need to use the BT antenna if it's internal.

However, I've got a 20" Apple Cinema Display (the old kind). Anyway, it's got a USB port on the back. I bought the $35 (or was it $40?) D-Link BT module and plugged it into the back. I never see it, it uses a port I'll never use, so I'm happy.

For me, though, the reason to go BTO is the chance to upgrade graphics cards. If you don't need to do that, buy in a brick-and-mortar store and get same-day gratification.

And, yes, adding a hard disk could really not be easier. Takes about 3 minutes start to finish, and that's if you take your time. No tools needed.
  3. MegaSignal thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    I've got the exact SAME monitor...and IMHO, the "old" monitors actually match the G5 cases better. Best of all: 1.8 million pixels, and all perfect!

You're right - with those two USB ports on back of the monitor itself, who cares? (As long as this USB device doesn't exceed these ports' power limitaions)

My 18-month old Dual 1.25 G4 lost its logic board and I really do not want to invest $700 in it right now. Hopefully, I'll be able to eBay it for a reasonable price as a fixer-upper. AppleCare for sure next time!

OT for laughs: Tried an $89 video imaging suite from Roxio for a Dell that I'm currently using and guess what - after being an FCE and iMovie user, it just won't cut it. Bring on the chorus of "I told u so", I so richly deserve it...I still love Roxio, though, there's nothing like creating a party CD with total control over cross fades using Jam; Toast is great, too. Must just be harder to code a decent program for the Windows platform.
  4. phonic pol macrumors regular

Feb 16, 2004
    I'd go bto - the wait isn't that long and I doubt you'll regret it.