To burn or not to burn

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kyle, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Kyle macrumors member

Dec 27, 2002
    Other than iTunes is there any decent program that I may burn CDs with? Must be free, otherwise I would purchase Toast.

Thanks in advance,
  2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    I guess you could always use the disk utility.... Otherwise I strongly suggest you buy Toast.....
  3. Kyle thread starter macrumors member

Dec 27, 2002
    Does disk utility do Audio CDs?

Is there a trial version of Toast? I hate buying something before I have tried it....
  4. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    1. Insert blank CD-R

2. It will ask you if what you to initialize it "Audio CD"

3. Name the CD

4. Drop the AIFF's (you will have to convert your soundfiles to this...use quicktime) into the disk.

5. Drag the disk icon to the trash

6. Your mac will ask you if you want to burn it, click "yes"

I might be wrong about this because I haven't done this since OS 9....
  5. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    No, Shaolin, you've got it right. No burner software is needed, it's part of Mac OS X (and 9.2 also).

1. Put in blank media. It asks if you want to create a volume. Give it a name and say yes.

2. Drag files to the volume until it's full.

3. Right-click on it, or select it and click File, and click Burn Disk.

4. Wait for it to finish! It doesn't get any easier than that.
  6. superkatalog macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2002
    is discburner (built in burning software) still unable to write multi-session cd's? this is such a shame. you want to save a one meg word file, and have to spend a whole cd-r.....
  7. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2002
    Charles City, Iowa
    That's why you do a lot of other backing up along with the word file. :rolleyes:
  8. rjrufo macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2002
    Multiple-Session CD Burning

To answer your question about burning a CD with multiple sessions, I found this in the February '03 issue of Macworld on page 101, written by Ronald C.F. Antony, Providence, RI.
    "New in OS x 10.2 is the ability to burn multiple-session CDs. Here's how to make use of this feature:
    Launch the Disk Copy application (found in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder) and select New from Disk Copy's File menu to create a new image (a blank image, an image that mirrors a device, or an image from a folder or volume). Once you've created the image, select Burn Image from the File menu. In the After Burning section of the resulting Burn Disc window, make sure the Allow Additional Burns option is selected. Click on the Burn button to burn the contents of the image to the CD.
    Repeat this procedure to burn additional images to the disc. Each session will appear on the desktop as a seperate CD."
  9. Kyle thread starter macrumors member

Dec 27, 2002
    Right, but will this make it MP3s on the CD as data or audio for a stereo?