To buy a refurb or Not to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DEXTERITY, Aug 19, 2004.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

I was considering getting a dual 2.0 G5 with the education discount. however, there seems to be a Rev B refurb 2.0 on apple's site. it is listed at $2099.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...UIVEESg/1.0.0.9.1.0.6.7.3.5.1.1.6.1.5.1.3.5.0

I think it has the Gig E card added as well. the question is, how can something so new be refurbed already? I am a little skeptical that it may be messed up in some way that may cause problems in the future. I know it has a warranty, etc, but I dont want to inherit a problem child over saving $200. I want to add more ram, hard drive space, will apple do that with a refurb?

appreciate any feedback. I also, dont want anything that is scratched up. I tend to try to keep everything in my studio looking new.. thanks again.

2. scottwat macrumors regular

My opinion

If you want more ram and HD, why not buy the base model new computer. Without the extra ram and HD so you would save money then add third party ram and HD to suit your needs? Would probably make it alot cheeper.

3. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

Remember that this refurbs are taken by apple. I'm pretty sure they check them to verify all the problems it has are fixed. Recently I bought a dual-2.0 refurb. And it's awesome, can't be happier. For the upgrades, just by 3rd party hardware, unless you have the extra $$$$$ to spend and want everything done by apple. But for the hardware as long as it says that works with a G5, you should have no problem. Maybe someone with more experiece in upgrades can help here. Also, remember that you get the same warranty as if you buy a new machine and can also get ACP.

Bottom line, I'm happy with my refurb. And others have helped me in making the purchased of it. If you look around the threads for G5 threads you'll find a lot of people recommending to get the refurb and save the $$$$ for upgrades.

4. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for your feedback and help. appreciate it. I am still deciding.. im all over the place.

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I wasn't. Within a week I found out that I had a faulty logic board that was causing constant kernel panics... so that sucked.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I computer has to be considered refurbished even if all that happens is it's box is opened. Just because it's refurbished doesn't mean that there was something wrong with it. If you do have a problem, I'm guessing that Apple will be glad to give you a repair, or a new machine. I would invest in Apple Care though, just to be safe.