to buy apple care or not....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by breakfastcrew, Aug 18, 2006.

1. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

From what I can read on this forum, most of you recommend ppl to buy apple care for their apple laptops. I for one have never brought extended warranty for any sort of electronics. My stuff usually don't break hahahah I am a very careful person. So are apple laptops really fragile or what?? I mean if I don't drop it or like step on it what are the chances of my laptop just dying in 5 years. I really don't see how a laptop can just die if you didn't do anything to it. Plz tell me why I should buy apple care...I mean clearly I didn't spend 1300 on my macbook expecting it to break in 5 years.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, first, all AppleCare gets you is an extension of the warranty from 1 year to 3 years - not 5.

That said, a single repair often exceeds the cost of AppleCare for a laptop, and a well-used laptop is not unlikely to have issues within several years of use, so most of us consider it to be a worthwhile purchase.

Non-laptops, though... it's more of a toss-up.

3. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

eh.....hmmmm I think not I have had 3 laptops previously a dell, toshiba, and ibm. None of them have had any physical problem and they were all 3-4 years old when I sold them. Am I wrong to think that laptops shouldn't die if I don't abuse them?? All these issues about the logic board frying up after a couple years or screens not working......is this normal?

4. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

5. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

so I shouldn't expect the macbook to last as long as my other laptops LOL??? is that the case? I don't see how it will most likely die in a few years....what? am I missing something here?

6. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

If you have a 1st or second gen product like any of the INTEL machines i would HIGHLY reccomend getting APPLCARE.
    Any First generation machine is much more likely to have kinks in the enineering, and you'll find it MUCH harder to get something replaced after that 1st year if you dont have APPLECARE.

Thats what made the Powerbook G4's & Powermac G'5s such a great buy, cause they are/were such reliable machines.

i Highly reccomend it for a laptop, just cause of the simple act of moving the laptop around alot can cause issues.
    A Desktop machine is much less likely to have problems in the first 3 years.

7. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

haha wait hold on if they have kinks in them and they are not telling us now wouldn't there be a class action lawsuit down the road.....I am not a guinea pig here. :eek:

8. quruli macrumors regular

Ok. Apple is bold. They try new things. Like laptop enclosures less than one inch, etc. Apple, as well as any other company, can only do so much testing. So it is possible that when released into the wild they can have issues.

A very small % of current Apple notebooks are breaking down. But some notable things are macbook discoloring, the moo on the macbook(which has been fixed i believe) along with the heat on the macbooks too.

Most of those things will be taken care of in the first year of owning it. Thus buying AppleCare may not be necessary.

I would recommend a warranty on any laptop. I typically do it, if it is brand new. Fact is the cost is so low why not? I mean displays die, things happen. Better to have it covered under warranty instead of buying a display yourself or sending it to Apple and paying more than the laptop is worth.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yeah, you're missing something, I guess.....what you're getting for your applecare money is something called "peace of mind." That's all the great majority of Applecare buyers get for their money. Most of them don't actually get repair work done......but they're happy with "peace of mind" knowing that if something should ever happen, then they're covered against what they would veiw as a devasting expense.

This is sort of how the "insurance" formula works for just about anything. The majority people don't ever make a claim but for the minority that do, they're covered.

10. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

I am buying warranty not insurance. You can't compare ppl to laptops. Bodies ages and it is natural that their immune system is weaken. But laptops are different they don't age I mean their parts don't magically deteoriate. From what you guys are saying....I am guessing I got lucky on those 3 laptops....:confused:

11. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Whats wrong with a little insurance?

You have car insurance, that doesn't mean you'll crash.
    You have home insurance, that doesn't mean you'll be burgalerized
    You have health insurance, that doesn't mean you'll need surgury

So just because you have Applecare doesn't mean you need it, its just in case you need it, its an investment in protection.

12. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

car insurance....I have to buy it is the law. House insurance it is a given, disasters happen I can't control that. Health insurance...read my previous post. Apple care hmmmm.....if I don't abuse it I don't see how it would break....certainly wouldn't be my fault if it breaks just by normal use. So does this mean apple laptops are more fragile or am I expecting too much.? haha

13. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Well if you find it so hard to find any of our justifications to be rational why do you just not worry about the apple care all together. That is in part of the reason as to why it is optional.

14. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

cause I want someone to convince me. :p See this is kinda weird but from my perspective it is like this. You go to the store to buy an apple and the store clerk tells you that you should buy warranty for it because it might explode and disappear during the week....this isn't fair I paid full price for it why should I even have to worry about if it will keep working down the road. I mean thats why I paid them the money so that they can design a product that works and not kinda work...

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

haha....no, I would say your experience with those 3 laptops is not uncommon at all. Statistics are about such things are VERY hard to come by. I'm remembering seeing a report that indicated that as far as the incidence of major defects in the first year, Apple's laptops were very similar to other manufacturers.....something like 16% (IIRC) of buyers had a problem requiring warranty service.....or something like that.

Of course if you're one of the 16%, then having applecare would be nice!! If the idea of paying for a logic board replacement or a new lcd panel, or whatever, scares you, then buy applecare....if not, then don't

16. quruli macrumors regular

You think Apple cares (haha) if it is not your fault? Do you think any company is going to give you the time of day? Well, if you want to pay for their service I am sure they will.

Thing happen. Laptops have moving parts. Not all computer parts are created equal. A display can last 3 years or 2 days.

I don't understand the point of this thread. You have clearly already decided that you are not getting AppleCare. Since you are trying to argue the reasons that some people feel you should get it.

So. Don't buy it. Take your year warranty and be happy.

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well, hey! they make a lot of money selling you those extended warranties!!! Anyway, that applecare purchase wont do you any good until after the 1 year warranty that comes with the computer, has run out

18. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

how is it my fault if they sell me a defective product. My job as a consumer is to pay up the dough and enjoy my product:cool: the rest of the stuff is apple's job.

19. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Ok, then I'll try. I work in retail, I do this all day :D

Put it this way. OK you just spent $1300 on you shinny new Macbook. You promise to be careful, and take care of it in every way. Lets say one day you are moving the macbook to you living room and you accidently drop it and the screen cracks. Your out of $1300 :( but wait! :eek: You have Applecare! :) and you send it to them and they fix your broken screen and any other problems and your Macbook is as good as new again! Horray for Applecare! :D

20. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL :) thx for understanding. Ok I guess if I drop it it would be totally my fault and I wouldn't even be mad at apple because I know I broke it. But lets say 3 years from now suddenly without a reason my logic board goes up in smoke and I didn't spill water or step on it....;) then why would I have to pay apple care extra money when that shouldn't happen in the first place cause lets face it unless it is defective logic boards don't go up in smoke just by using it. (if thats the case eh......)

OK so back to the point I guess what someone should say to comfort me or convince me to buy apple care is to answer this question.

If I don't abuse or mis-use my macbook, it is very very most likely NOT going to break.

21. quruli macrumors regular

Any laptop can have issues. You have been lucky. I have been too with my notebooks. I bought AppleCare on my first notebook just in case.

One bonus is that it helps resale value if you decide to sell before the warranty is up. People like warranties. That is a fact. They want the piece of mind. When you buy any type of insurance or warranty it is for piece of mind.

Just in case. If all of a sudden my display dies, I got it covered. I don't think any Apple warranty exceeds $250, so for $250 or less you have the piece of mind that if something does happen you will not have to pay out of pocket.

But, hey it is not for everyone. Remember though, that laptop parts are more expensive and harder to come by in some cases. Whereas a desktop if something dies chances are you can find a replacement in a timely manner and for a reasonable price.

22. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

The AppleCare doesnt just help you down the road also. It will help you 91 days from now to. Lets just say a normal defect in workmanship pops up or you siply just need to call it will cost your $49.99 (almost all manufacturers do this). The applecare will save you that cost. Or lets say you need to ship the item to them. WIth the AppleCare will take care of the shipping at all points. Also as for the mention that laptops don't just detorioriate over time. I can tell you that they indeed do. YOu have something that produces heat and over time heat will wwear down electronics. You have some moving parts, that yes indeed are being built cheaper and cheaper each year by all manufacturers, that do wear out as they moving at excessive speeds. Apples generally do have less a chance to break down than most. But when it comes down to it it is a box of nuts and bolts like the rest. Thats why Applecare is no where near the price of what yo would pay for a decent warranty for the rest of those pee cee puters out there. I would always recomend buying it. Do you need to ? Nah ... but I always will because it will be a small fraction of what I would pay for said computer to be fixed once.

Kevin

23. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmmm interesting I am too lazy to look it up how much is apple care for my macbook?

24. quruli macrumors regular

You need to convince yourself. Don't rely on people to tell you why you should do something. You need to research and form your own opinion. An opinion which you seem to have already.

You don't seem to understand the way ALL companies sell products. If 3 years down the line your logic board dies is it Apple's fault? No. Did they sell you a defective product? No. Stuff happens. Computers die. Do you expect hard drive manufactuers to give you a lifetime warranty? How about car manufactuers? How much money would they lose? However they do offer a decent amount of cushion just in case. In Apples case, that is 1 year. Which most companies give.

Things wear. Even silicon over time. Processors, motherboards, ram, etc don't last forever.

If you really think that Apple sold you a defective product because the logic board died 3 years later you really need to step back and think.

Also, if Apple does indeed find that they have defective products they offer free repair extensions whether in or out of warranty.

25. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

ok ding ding ding you win LOL I am buying it how much is it?