To Buy New or Refurbished?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacJeep, May 12, 2005.

1. MacJeep macrumors newbie

Do you think it's better to buy new or save and buy refurbished? I'm looking at a couple of refurbished laptops that are the same as what's out now and I'm wondering if I should get what someone else already had once before and save a couple of hundred bucks or if I should just wait a little longer and purchase it brand new?

2. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I would have no qualms about buying a refurb. You can't beat the price. The same warranty applies and most of the time they are as good as new.

The only downside is you can't configure it (but on the other hand you can get lucky and get more than you pay for). Also, if you get an edu discount, you can get a new unit at the same price now (at least the ones I looked at) with their current $100 rebate.

3. MacJeep thread starter macrumors newbie

So you don't think it's a bad Apple, no pun intended, and that's the reason why it was returned, now only to be sold again?

4. Papa Shank macrumors newbie

well they're repaired and brought back upto full working order, I'd have no problem with getting a refurbished apple

5. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Most of them are just units that people return within the 10 or 15 day window they are allowed to return an item, not because they are defective.

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

It's possible these units have a greater risk of failure, having exhibited this in the past, but the plain fact is usually the faulty hardware has been replaced and the system fully tested to be "as new".
    Add to that the warranty of the new and refurb units is identical!

7. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

The refurbished stuff is always guaranteed to work and it comes with a 1 year warantee. So it's safe to buy.

8. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Go for it.

If you have no need to add any BTO options, then refurb is definitely the way to go. I did that with my original iBook and it worked great up to the day it left my hands to someone else. They come with a full warranty and you can even get Applecare for them if you want to. I'd say go for it.

9. MacJeep thread starter macrumors newbie

What about all the software that originally comes with the unit? Is that given to you as well, or just Tiger and iLife disks without anything on the hard drive? Does that make any sense? You know how they already have the hard drive prepared for you with all the added software? Also, can they inform you of the reason why it was returned, or are they protected against answering that question? If it did end up doing the same thing as the first time, would I be able to get a full refund for something else? Believe me, I want to save money, but I also want my first Mac experience to be a very good one, worth the investment. I don't want to end up haunting the Discussions forums of the support site trying to get my ailments fixed.

10. MacJeep thread starter macrumors newbie

What I'm trying to decide upon.....

New:
    17" iMac G5 Rev B.
    2.0 Ghz
    1 GB RAM
    160 GB Hard Drive
    128 VRAM
    8x DVD DL Burner
    BT KB/Mouse
    iLugger Bag (For occasional tote to and from home, possibly used at both work and home depending on my wife :eek: )

New:
    12" PB (Don't know what the current Rev is)
    1.5 Ghz
    768 MB RAM (512 MB Module bought from friend that replaced their 17" module with 2 GB and will sell to me for dirt cheap maybe even free :D )
    80 GB Hard Drive
    64 MB VRAM
    8x DVD Burner
    Backpack (Possibly used at both work and home depending on my wife :eek: )

Refurbished:
    15" PB (Don't know what the current Rev is)
    1.5 Ghz
    1 GB RAM (512 MB Module bought from friend that replaced their 17" module with 2 GB and will sell to me for dirt cheap maybe even free :D )
    80 GB Hard Drive
    64 MB VRAM
    Combo Drive (Will purchase external 16x DVD DL Lacie burner within 2 months)
    Backpack (Possibly used at both work and home, as you guessed it, depending on my wife :eek: )

Or wait until WWDC and see if they come up with new iBooks with 64 MB VRAM in them? I have $2000 burning a hole in my pocket and I've lost my voice today, which means if I went into the store tomorrow without my voice I would have to leave the talking to my wife. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can't wait until Boston's MacExpo in July because I have a wedding that I am attending and I need to bring something down with me to record, take pictures, and delve deep into iLife with. Not to mention, show off to my family members who are all Windows users. Yes, I know I still am one, but I will not be soon. Sooooon my precioussssssssss.......