To buy now or not to buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by WRXHokie, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. WRXHokie macrumors regular

    WRXHokie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #1
    Alright, I've finally decided that a 15" PB is for me. I can get a nice one from the apple store for 1799 with the edu discount or a refurbished one for 1699. But then the rumors have been swirling that they're about to update the powerbooks next week. But with no keynote, how likely is this to actually happen? Will the price difference be that much to make a difference for me? Should i wait?
     
  2. Euan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    Do you need the PB now? If not then why not wait. It's not going to do any harm and Apple may still make little updates even though there is no keynote - they may do it via the Q&A.
     
  3. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

    WRXHokie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #3
    No dont need it right away... but i'm going on some travel starting in a couple weeks, and it would be nice to have it before i leave.
     
  4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

    AstrosFan

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    #4
    If they do introduce new ones next week as expected, then you MAY be able to have one in a couple of weeks if you buy it stock.
    If you buy it BTO, I think it's iffy that you'll have it in a couple of weeks.

    However, I second Euan's opinion that if you don't need it now, you should go ahead & wait.

    Good luck!
     
  5. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

    WRXHokie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #5
    I was wrong, i'm going on the road starting next weekend.
     
  6. Euan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    Ok well that changes things slightly. If there is an update, it is unclear how quickly this will be available. It may be available immediately but how long orders will take to process who knows. If you've an apple store near you, you may be able to purchase instore any revision from Expo.
     
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #7
    If a new PowerBook is announced next week, chances are it wouldn't arrive in time for your trip. So if you are in need of a new PowerBook now then I would go ahead an purchase. The current model is a great computer and will enjoy many years of service.
     
  8. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2005
  9. WRXHokie thread starter macrumors regular

    WRXHokie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #9
    It must be so difficult for you to ignore the post.. if its so terrible.
     
  10. tjlazer macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2005
    Location:
    Tacoma, WA USA
    #10
    I wonder what kind of update we can expect? I recently got a PB 15" see my sig. It is a pretty nice laptop and is light to tug around. Great for a trip!
     
  11. Manzana macrumors 6502a

    Manzana

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2004
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #11
    get it now!!!

    the 15" powerbook is just an awesome machine. i bought mine over a year ago (1.33, 768, 60gig, combo, 64mbATI) and i've seen two upgrades in that time and although i wouldn't mind getting all those goodies i have to tell you that i feel as though i don't miss much since this machine can do everything i need it do now! although i would love a 5400rpm drive :)

    therefore, why wait? i mean it's not as if the next rev will be the intel books which is the next real reason to upgrade. you need this 'book for your trip also, you will love it and the sooner you get it the quicker you'll be able to get all sorts of goodies to take on the trip with you (aps, movies, pics, tunes).
     
  12. Beck446 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
  13. nutmac macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #13
    As many other threads have already speculated, all expect 90-nm 7448 G4 CPU, which has 200 MHz FSB (up from 167 MHz FSB), 1 MB L2 cache (up from 512 KB), new Altivec out-of-order instructions support, and much lower power consumption.

    The rest are pure speculations, ranging from higher resolution LCD on 17" model, widescreen 12" model, new and faster GPU, Mighty Mouse-like "right button" sensor, etc.
     
  14. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #14
    The macintels will blow ppc macs out of the water when they come out, but for now I'll make do with the 7448 ones.. come on Apple! You heard the cash speaking!
     
  15. drake macrumors 6502a

    drake

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2005
    #15
    I think OS X on a Thinkpad would be rather nice. :p
     
  16. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #16
    IF there is an update, Apple will drop the price of the existing models.

    Why not wait to see IF the PowerBooks are updated,
    then have Apple ship your order to where ever you
    are heading to.

    OR...

    Just go to the AppleStore nearest you after you know for sure what's up following the Paris Expo announcements.

    One of my close friends caved 2 weeks before the last PowerMac update paying $2299 for her Rev B 2.0 dual G5.
    14 days later I bought the same unit for $1699.
     
  17. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #17
    That must have hurt. :(

    Still both of you have an awesome Mac.
     
  18. Euan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #18
    Ouch
     

Share This Page