To Buy Now, or Not to Buy Now

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daviddamonkey, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. daviddamonkey macrumors newbie

    Jan 11, 2006
    Here's my issue. Im wanting an intel iMac for Pro Tools LE and Final Cut Express. I don't plan on putting any other software on it in order to keep it clean. Final Cut wont be ready for the Intels until March, and Pro Tools isn't announced yet, so I had basically resigned myself to just waiting until whichever program was ready first and purchasing the iMac then. Over the days though I've wanted the mac more and more.

    My current thoughts are to buy an Intel iMac now, use it for my day to day web surfing and whatnot, and then when when FC and PT come out I would format the drive and start from scratch again and then keep it clean and go back to using my PC for the everyday tasks.

    Here's my question: Do you guys think they will be making any revisions to the 20inch Intel iMac between now and the end of March? I'd hate to buy it early just for kicks and then have a newer revision come out that I could've waited for. I know it wont make mine obsolete or anything, but I'd kick myself for it since I don't need one yet.
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3


    Aug 30, 2003
    I don't think so, they'll want to get a good quarter out the model, at least.
  3. cubist macrumors 68020

    Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    I'd say don't buy it, those programs won't work on it, the intel versions haven't been released, and may be repackaged so you have to buy a much more expensive package. If I were you, I'd consider looking for a refurb previous-generation (no camera) iMac G5.

Share This Page