To buy or not to buy ElGato EyeTV200

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TyWahn, Apr 4, 2005.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I am contemplating buying an ElGato EyeTV 200. I have wanted a TiVO for quite a while, but I am not too keen on paying a $13 monthly membership, plus I do not have a landline phone needed for program guides, etc.
    Can anybody give me a reason why I should not get one, or if anybody does have one, how do you like it. Or even still, does somebody know of an alternative?
    Thanks as always.
    tywahn

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

don't they offer one time lifetime membership? the tivo that don't are on directv to my knowledge.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have a 430 (for UK terestrial digital programming) and am very happy with it. Quality of recordings is very good and playback is low CPU usage (note that we do not have HD in the UK yet).

4. Gerg macrumors regular

I bought the EyeTV 200 and an EyeHome unit a couple of months ago, and I'm very pleased with them both. I love being able to record shows that I can't see for one reason or another, and the access to TitanTV's on-line guide is great. If you're sitting at work and see a show you want to record, you can do a remote-schedule record, so if you set up the software right, EyeTV will wake up the computer at regular intervals (daily, every 3 hours, etc.) and get the new program to record and record it.

My only problem is that I don't have enough hard drive space to keep the shows I want to keep, soi I havce to burn them off onto DVD's or video CD's. With EyeHome, you have access to all media (iPhoto, iTunes, iMovies, as well as EyeTV content), so I'd rather leave it all on a hard drive and be able to access it instantly.