To buy the mac book?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blowtoes, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Blowtoes macrumors newbie

Well, I am thinking of buying a refurb mac book (one off of apple website) for 850$, and then adding 2 GB of RAM. I am just not sure to get this, because I don't want to spend 1,000+ dollars, and have the mac book break down quickly. So I am curious how long the avrage mac laptop lasted you, and if I should buy it or not. Thanks ahead of time!

2. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

I have a black Macbook and it has had only one problem (the battery) which Apple fixed same-day. So far, I'm a happy customer.

3. shawsinio macrumors regular

I have a MacBook, and it's been great. This is my first mac laptop, so I can't speak from experience, but I don't think mac laptops (or desktops for that matter!) slow down much as they age, at least not compared to windows laptops I have had in the past, which, despite all having nescessary virus and spy/malware protection, they've eventually been bogged down by something. I really would recommend the MacBook, it's really pretty quick, and looks great too. Let us know what you decide to do! Good luck!

shawsinio

4. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Donn't forget you'll have to buy the RAM third party, as Apple will not do upgrades on refurbs. Otherwise, I have a G3 iBook that has lasted me well over 6 yrs and hasn't stopped yet. It will be a sound investment. One suggestion: If you're going to make that kind of investment, figure on getting Applecare sometime in the first year. Good luck!

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i have a 2001 TiBook which is still working great. The screen hinges has broken, though. This shouldn't happen on any more recent i/power/mac-books because of the new hinge design.

6. Blowtoes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone! I am probably buying one today, I made up my mind! I'll post a few pics once it arrives.

7. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Sound decision. You won't be disappointed. My wife and I both have MacBooks and absolutely no complaints.

Well done.

Dave :)

8. shawsinio macrumors regular

Good choice, you'll be glad you've bought it, I am!

shawsinio

9. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Your macbook should last you 2-3 years without being a "really" old. Get it.