To check HD using c.d., what does "hold option at boot" mean?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Greenone, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Greenone macrumors 6502

Someone suggested I do this but I don't understand these directions. I dropped my PB and I hear clicking noises so it was suggested that I put in the second of the two OS X c.d.'s the computer came with, to see if the HD is damaged. He/she said to "hold option at boot." Does this mean press down on the "option" key before, during, or after the c.d. is put in? sorry for being so computer illiterate!

2. jane doe macrumors 6502

The option key on boot starts the "boot manager" this is used to select a different (local) startup volume. You can select any one of the attacthed HDs that have a bootable OS on them or a CD/DVD.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You can hold down the option keep as soon as you start. It's not necessary for it to be down the whole time you are booting, but overkill won't hurt. You can let go when you see the screen that lets you choose the startup device.

4. Greenone thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the computer need to be on or off? I need more details. I know next to nothing about computers! Thanks

5. jane doe macrumors 6502

Turn the computer off

Turn the computer on and hold the option key as soon as you hear the boot chime

6. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Hold the option key down while you are pressing the power button. An continue to hold the option key until the grey screen appears.

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

or hold down the letter "c" (no caps) to boot from the cd, and run the disk utility from there :)

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

She (right?) is trying to run the Apple Hardware Test, not Disk Utility. AHT is separate from the normal OS X boot disk (separate partition I believe), so actually holding "c" down won't work in this case.