To Copy CDs: Disk Utility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johnnyxhuynh, Jun 27, 2006.

1. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

I read on some other posts that the "easiest" way to copy a CD was to use Disk Utility to burn an image of that CD, and then use that image to burn onto a blank CD. I've attempted to do that twice now. I selected the CD Drive from the side bar in Disk Utility and clicked on the "New Image" icon/button at the top. With that, I entered a filename for the disk image and chose the size 660 MB (CD-ROM 80 min) since that's the size of the blank CD I was going to use. I proceeded, and it took some minutes to finish creating the image. Once I had the image created, I inserted a blank CD and burned from that image. After the process completed, I ended up with what was essentially a blank CD. I really don't understand? I tried downloading "Firestarter FX" or something, but that ended up not working for some reason when I started the create image process.

Can someone offer any advice? (I'm trying to copy an audio CD, by the way. I don't know if that makes any difference.)

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Dsik Utility cannot copy audio CD's through this method. At least not an audio CD that you can play on a regular CD player. You need a third party app.

3. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

You might want to look into Toast. I'm pretty sure this can help do what you are looking to do. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Or, wait, iTunes can do this, no?
    *prays this doesn't become another anti-piracy thread*

4. road dog macrumors regular

you need something like toast, which can easily copy audio cds.

the burning stuff that comes with the OS is specifically coded to NOT let you copy audio CDs... doesn't jive with apple's ipod strategy.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Open the CD in Finder, and drag all the tracks onto your hard drive. Import them into iTunes, put them in a playlist, and press the Burn CD button.

6. johnnyxhuynh thread starter macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks you all.

Just wondering: Are there any recommended apps out there that are free?

7. road dog macrumors regular

importing into itunes and then reburning to make a copy is a lossy process... the audio files will not be a prefect copy.

the toast way makes a perfect copy in a single step.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The steps I gave will not compress the tracks.