... to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by backsidetailsli, Aug 28, 2006.

1. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

alright i want to know if there is a program to convert avi/ mpeg or w/e so that it will play in a dvd player. a program so that i dont have to use imovie or idvd. just a converter and then i burn to a dvd and it will play on a dvd player.

thanks a ton.

2. Willehard macrumors newbie

Willehard

There is a program called VisualHub that I use mainly for converting my videos for iPod, but it also has an option to convert to dvd (including a checkbox to author as DVD) among others. I have never tried this, but i think it's what your'e looking for.

http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/

It's $23.32 but worth every penny. (Converts 40mins of video for iPod (MP4) in 9mins on my Intel iMac)

3. Lebowski macrumors 6502

......this just in......

an avi played on a dvd player is gonna look terrible. avi is an EXTREMELY compressed format, and you will not be pleased with the final result.

...we now continue with our regularly schedule program, already in progress.

4. garfield2002 macrumors regular

I beg to disagree Lebowski, the quality of the AVI will depend largely on how you've decided to encode the file. The latest incarnations of compression algorithims (DivX/XVID) do a great job provided you allow a high enough bitrate. I regularly play AVI on my standard resolution tv with quite acceptable results.

I've never tried VisualHub as one poster mentioned, but I've used Toast Titanium to convert an AVI to MPEG-2 (DVD) and it looked dreadful. I don't know what happened, but it took nearly 6 hours to encode on a 1.5 G4 Mini. It wasn't worth the time or the blank disc to try again.

I currently recommend getting a DIVX capable DVD player. Just burn the avi or mpeg files to a DVD and it'll play. I personally own a Philips DVP642 which has worked surprisingly well. It was also very cheap. Be aware that this device won't play everything, but it has handled almost everything that I've thrown at it. :)

5. Lebowski macrumors 6502

touche'

however, i am willing to bet that these arent files the the OP has originals of, and then compressed into a high quality avi. im guessing its vid clips off the net, he wants on a disc for a dvd player, thus 99% chance they are gonna look like sh*t.

6. garfield2002 macrumors regular

:) Hehe, point taken Lebowski. No offense intended. :)

7. Lebowski macrumors 6502

8. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Toast will let you drag&drop and burn video files to DVD or VCD, as long as you can get QT to play it.

9. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Edit:

I basically said everything garfield2002 said but in less coherant, non-thought out way. :p

10. backsidetailsli thread starter macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

11. DrRock macrumors regular

^

I downloaded the trial version of V-hub, and it works fine for some formats, but I've had no luck with others. I'm still deciding if I want to purchase the full version. I probably will, simply based on the price, because it does work for certain things. For instance, my brother appeared in a commercial that only plays online. I use V-hub to convert it to DV so I could archive it onto DVD. I haven't burned it yet, so I can't attest to the quality, but it looks and sounds good in FCP.

12. Ultimatelox macrumors newbie

Ultimatelox

The best conversion program I've come across is ffmpegx it recognizes almost any video file and can export as damn near any format. The only down side is the eported file stays at the same quality as the orig file. It doesn't upscale the file. You can get it at http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

13. J-Low macrumors member

Provided that it plays in quicktime.
    You could import it to iDVD.
    New project and put it in the place where files play automatically on insert.

The re-encoding takes forever though.
    (Although that could be because I have a 512mb ram ibook)
    and a 700mb .avi went to 3.3GB.

Just do it before you go to bed.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

ffmpegx has changed its website it is now http://www.ffmpegx.com/, but i agree it is a great program and should be able to do what you want but may take ages. If you have a laptop it is probably best to get a video cable from Apple such as this one for iMac Code duos, powerbook 12" and Macbooks and plug your Laptop straight into your TV.