To eMac or not to eMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by job, Sep 15, 2003.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

I need a new computer.

It needs to be around or slightly under $1000.

It needs to have a DVD drive, Firewire, Airport (any varient), at least 32MB of VRAM, and a CPU faster than 800Mhz.

The mid-range eMac is perfect.

Is there any wild chance of a slight speed bump near Christmas? Because if there isn't....

(Oh, I'm on an iMac DV [400Mhz, 512MB RAM, 8MB VRAM] so everything runs faster, even 500Mhz iBooks, so I'm sure a 1Ghz eMac will kill my iMac. I don't need a G5 and I can't afford one, so don't tell me to get one.)

2. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: To eMac or not to eMac?

If you are used to and happy with all in one computers go for the emac. It is a good deal and a very versitale machine. I have no idea when it is due for upgrades though. Maybe wait until after the expo.

3. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

emac?

I've got an eMac 700, 32 Mb VRAM, combo drive. It does everything I need. My only complaint is the HD (40 Gb not big enough) and the slow AAC encoding speeds (6.5 - 7.5). If you want a decent desktop that wont break the bank, the emac is it. However, make sure you buy one with everything you are going to want 2-3 years from now. It's almost impossible to upgrade.

4. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

Apple is currently selling refurb G4s for as low as $949. Get them while their hot! If you want to spend $1000 for a new machine, now is your chance to get a far better machine than an eMac.

5. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

yeah but you don't get a monitor and the poster seemed happy with the all in one solution. On the other hand I was looking at those very closely, so noone else buy one till I get mine:D

6. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: Re: To eMac or not to eMac?

and as an addendum I think the emacs just got a speed bump recently so go for it

7. Waluigi macrumors 6502

From the buyers guide here on macrumors.com:
    There are some facts, make what you want of them.

--Waluigi