Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
they should have used this name

thundercats

tumblr_mmnlatcr9e1sna1yyo1_500.gif

tumblr_mejesqWVYt1rzkyaxo1_400.gif

tumblr_mejesqWVYt1rzkyaxo2_400.gif

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Mac OS X Coalinga

You know... if you've ever taken the 5 from Norcal or Socal.

There's a ton of cool surf spots for names if they choose to keep that up. Mac OS X Trestles is cool. And everyone would be like WTF!??

I'll see your Trestles..

and raise you Zzyzx.

On the 15 between Vegas and Barstow.

Mac OS X Zzyzx has a nice ring to it. :)

BL.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I'll see your Trestles..

and raise you Zzyzx.

On the 15 between Vegas and Barstow.

Mac OS X Zzyzx has a nice ring to it. :)

BL.

Oh yeah I know Zzyzx quite well. That's a good one. I have a good story that I'm not gonna tell here. :D

How about Mac OS X Lake Merritt. Okay, that will never happen.

Chabba

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
I'm waiting for the terrible versions of OSX. Modesto, Fresno, Merced, Stockton, Wasco, Bakersfield.

Psbjames70

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
I think OS X Mission Hill would have been cool. Also OS X Big Sur. These are far more recognizable than Mavericks. Even OS X Hal Moon Bay works.

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
I've lived across from the Apple HQ almost all my life and *I* don't know what Mavericks is...

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Can't wait for another 10 years, when they're about to run out of CA names, and name the best OS they've ever made, as OSX Cupertino. :D

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
To Everyone That Hates the Name Mavericks

"Designed by Apple in California."

Apple's pushing this HARD for the rest of 2013. Why? Think of what they dealt with in recent months:

1) Sentiment that their mobile OS has fallen behind.
2) Sentiment that their desktop OS still wasn't gaining necessary traction.
3) Grilled by consumers and now Congress on their manufacturing and taxation practices.

How do they respond? A full refresh of their mobile OS. Key enhancements and new, well-clammored-for features to their desktop OS. Announcements that a product line is returning to the US for manufacturing - then debuting it to much fanfare. Thereafter, they wanted to remind all of these consumers and politicians that they are indeed an American company thoroughly based in California. They want that reflected in the software that their hardware that will be built in the USA will run.

Folks, this is a strategic economic and marketing move, yes, but one fully entrenched with emotional tactics - what Apple is known for since the iPod.

Framp

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
Here's why I hate the name

I'm not happy with OSX Mavericks and here's why - [1] We just went from jungle cats to places in California and we haven't even made it to OSXI. [2] Stuck on the name: not everyone has been to California let alone Mavericks. I'm sure it has a special place in their hearts but it is not universal. I've seen a Lion before and a Panther and a Leopard. I shouldn't have to ask "what's a Mavericks?" - because it's so specific to California it feels pretentious and self-centered. I can't believe one of the best marketers in the world just did that! [3] The updates are not significant. I can't believe we don't have iOS apps running nativity on OSX yet!! It's crazy. [4] Still stuck on the name: Call it something inspiring! Something that dares people to dream. Something that is a beauty of nature, science or even space. I think Steve Jobs wouldn't have liked this naming scheme even being a California native. It's not universal! Here's a product that will be shipped all around the world and you call it Mavericks. Not everyone is a surfer either. It excludes people. When I saw the wave I had hope in a new naming scheme but now I'm just annoyed.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Mavericks is a surfing spot in Half Moon Bay, CA that produces some of the biggest waves on the PLANET. A place somewhere close to Cupertino and probably the most famous surf spot in California.

There is nothing more epic that's California themed than Mavericks.

If you have a better idea, let's hear it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavericks_(location)

Thanks for the info. Its great they are taking pride in where there stuff is made/designed. They are really pushing this it seems.

pettifogger06

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
I like it a lot, but then I've been there and know how cool it is.

If anything, it may drive a little unwanted publicity to the area.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I have no issue with the name, but I believe they renamed OSX too early. It should have been named mavericks next year with the release of 11 continuing the consistency of the big cats until Osx 10s departure.

However what I do hate is how apple spoon feeds us ios apps each year, next year we will get Siri and weather.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have no issue with the name, but I believe they renamed OSX too early. It should have been named mavericks next year with the release of 11 continuing the consistency of the big cats until Osx 10s departure.

What I hate is how apple spoon feeds us ios apps each year, however I wonder if Siri is ready for Osx..
OS X 11.0 does not necessarily follow 10.9 - they could easily go to 10.10.0. From the Keynote it does not sound like they plan on naming it OS XI any time soon.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
But there's no reason to stick to Cali. They're an international company, expand your thought process.

They're not saying they're sticking to California forever. They're saying THIS release of OS X is California themed. The next one's most likely gonna get a name from a place in another state or even another country.

----------

That's what I thought about. So obviously the next ones will be:

OS X Goose
OS X Iceman
OS X Iceman's buddy
OS X Geese
OS X Icemen
OS X Icemen's buddies

Just to tick people off ;)

autrefois

macrumors 65816
OS X 11.0 does not necessarily follow 10.9 - they could easily go to 10.10.0. From the Keynote it does not sound like they plan on naming it OS XI any time soon.

Good to point out — IIRC, they didn't refer to it as 10.9 in the keynote, just Sea Lion and Mavericks (the first being a joke, the second unfortunately was not). So they may keep calling it OS X for future upgrades as well.

I understand the PR motivations behind the new name (even though you may have heard our money is hiding in Ireland and elsewhere, we're still a true blue American company!), but I agree with people who say that most people are going to wonder "What's that?!" A very small number of people will know what it is, and it's not catchy.

It is possible to use obscure names effectively — look at Google. Who even remembers now that it was based off a mathematical term (googol)? No one cares because Google sounds catchy and cool. Mavericks? No one knows what it's referring to, and it's not catchy at all. A handful of people who are surfers in the Bay area may identify with the term — what about everyone else? If they weren't going for catchy, then something else sea-related that would be more universal, or at least more identifiable California/American name would have been better IMO.

Tom Cruise killed the name in 1986 and the John McCain and Sarah Palin dug up its corpse, **** on it and buried it again in 2008. The end.

Sarah Palin is the first thing I thought of when they announced the name (starts at 0:20 below).

Maybe that's part of the reason I have a negative reaction to the name Mavericks? Hopefully the OS will be good enough that people won't care about the name.

Last edited:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Next release:

Call it OS XX 1 Infinite Loop. For the 20th release. Or OS XXX for 30 years of the Macintosh and Mac OS ;)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
They're not saying they're sticking to California forever. They're saying THIS release of OS X is California themed. The next one's most likely gonna get a name from a place in another state or even another country.

No, they said CA names will hold them for the next ten years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.