Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buymeaniphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
So I'm still trying to decide whether or not to create a total flash site or just to have a Flash navigation as the main page and then load an html page when a link is clicked. What do you guys think, I know flash isn't the best when it comes to SEO but it does look a little cooler. Check out my site and give me your 2 cents.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
So I'm still trying to decide whether or not to create a total flash site or just to have a Flash navigation as the main page and then load an html page when a link is clicked. What do you guys think, I know flash isn't the best when it comes to SEO but it does look a little cooler. Check out my site and give me your 2 cents.

This is just my opinion, but (as a user and designer) I tend to shy away from all Flash sites. If I have the option to load an all Flash site or an all HTML site, I'll pick the HTML site every time.

I find Flash to be a bit kludgey, and it always runs the potential of alienating those people who don't have Flash installed (for whatever reason).

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Most people have the flash plugin installed on their machines, but the thing I do like about flash is that it looks the same on a mac and pc.

True, most people do have it installed, however I still find Flash to be needless overhead in most cases. Of the two options you laid out, I'd go with the Flash navigation and HTML pages.

But that's just my $0.02.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
IMO, dont use flash unless you know what you are doing and unless you have to. It looks cool, but if you dont know what you are doing, it'll drive people away. It tends to take longer to load too. Most of the time, html can look the same as a flash, minus the animation of course.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Flash as a main site is irritating and cumbersome.

Flash as a menu bar is irritating and annoying.

The chances are that if you are asking whether you should use Flash, you are not yet at the level of skill in terms of design and technical ability where you should be able to make Flash work in a non-irritating way.

"Ladies, I implore you! Go with the Toyota Corolla!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.