Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you make a fusion drive or have an SSD & HD

• Yes, I would combine the SSD & Hard Drive into a single Fusion Drive

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • NO, I would leave the SSD and Hard Drive as separate drives

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2015
I finally got around to ripping my 2012 mac mini i5 apart and install the second drive kit to add a 240gb SSD drive. It's a pretty fast drive with 530read/480write. Running the whole OS over the SSD is blazingly fast and a clear winner if it was not for currently as it's a family computer, there is about 200gb of data stored on the mac. This gives a limiting factor for who gets something fast and who gets the slow built in hard drive. Also you are then stuck having to move the data back and forth between the two drives depending on speed needs.

When I got my work iMac it came initially with a 1tb Fusion drive and it was simply fast. That was only a 120gb SSD fused with a 1tb hard drive. Now admittedly the SSD and HD were faster spec'd than what is now inside this Mac Mini, but the SSD inside is also larger (240gb).

From what I remember, it will use the SSD both as a cache for reading blocks, along with put the most needed files into SSD so they are faster, and the not needed files get moved onto the HD partition. This effectively would give me a single 720gb drive that appears to be really fast, rather than two single drives which one is blazing fast and the other is dead slow.

I am giving in to making a carbon copy of the current install for archive backup purposes. Wipe the two current drives and start from a clean slate, migrating all the data required back onto the new setup and re-installing all the apps from new. I know that my current Mac Mini might have some OS files that are not optimum and is doing some funny things that starting from a wiped install is likely a good idea.

What are your thoughts and most importantly WHY?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
For me it's a balance between speed and space. In my Mac mini I run two ssd for max performance , in my 2009 iMac I use a 256gb ssd / 3TB Hdd as a fusion drive, it works great.

You are in a great position cause you can setup a fusion drive with the ssd size of your choice . The current fusion drives are down to 20 something odd GB of ssd? Old ones were 128? You can make a 256 or 512 ssd fusion drive for your most common used files, so in reality, for majority of day to day tasks you would be using ssd.

I'd be interested to see the performance of new fusion drives, form me looks like a big step backwards in performance of you use a lot of files

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2015
I ended up just letting the mac mini configure itself at a fusion drive. After a bit of a fight to get the accounts moved over from a backup onto the new install. (it was mostly about iphotos to photos conversion). I reloaded the apps from clean and they work great. My daughter is ecstatic as her SIMMs now loads in seconds versus minutes on the old drive. We can switch between users and everyone can realistically stay logged in and just switch between user profiles as each person needs to do their thing. Well, not my daughter as she has time limits setup for her use, so she logs off each time so not to eat up her computing time.

Reactions: ApfelKuchen

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
I ended up just letting the mac mini configure itself at a fusion drive.

Mind telling me the exact process of doing that? Is there a setting for that during El Cap clean install? I'm planning a home-made fusion on my 2009 mini as well soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.