Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaywa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Athens, OH
Ok,

decision time and I need your help. This is so ironic, there was an identical post to this a while ago and I actually gave the guy advice. Now I am in the same dilema and don't know what to do. I am in the market for a new display and have fallen in love with the new cinema displays. my dilema is which one to get. here is my situation:

I, like many on this board, am a mac addict. I love their products and I love their design. A new aluminum display with my G5 will look great (so anyone planning to suggest I buy another brand please don't bother). The 30" is out of the question, too expensive, I have enough money for a 23 or 20. That being said, I am married and do enjoy other things besides my computer, so that extra cash difference between the 20 and the 23 could be useful elsewhere.
I do video work, but not HD (yet), so I am not sure the larger screen would be necessary for that reason. $700 seems like a lot for 3 inches...but, when I go to the apple store and try them out oh boy! Both are large enough to comfotably run the apps I use but that 23 just looks and feels so good. What should I do? Which should I get? I should point out that my wife fully supports me getting either one, which actually makes the decision much harder, believe it or not. Help. :confused:

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Buy the 20 incher, and put the extra $700 in a separate account to splurge on something for you, your wife, or both of you.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Being on a G5 with both display you are talking about, I have to say go with the 23. I can't explain exactly, perhaps its the crack i'm smoking, but the 23 just seems alot better.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
In my opinion, if you get the 20", there will always be a little part of you wishing you had gotten the 23". My suggestion is to get the 23" AND spend a little bit more doing something fun with your wife, like a mini-vacation.
Life is short!

Lee Tom

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
LeeTom said:
In my opinion, if you get the 20", there will always be a little part of you wishing you had gotten the 23". My suggestion is to get the 23" AND spend a little bit more doing something fun with your wife, like a mini-vacation.
Life is short!

Lee Tom

better yet

get the 20" and go on a second honeymoon (w/o the kids if you got any) ;)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
jimsowden said:
Being on a G5 with both display you are talking about, I have to say go with the 23. I can't explain exactly, perhaps its the crack i'm smoking, but the 23 just seems alot better.

HAHAHAHA..... I was gonna say also to get the 23 more room, able to have HD when your ready...

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
I faced a similar choice. I was planning on getting the 30", but as it turned out the monitor plus the new geforce card together were out of my budget. I decided on the 23" as the next best thing. Honestly I never considered the 20" as i had set aside a budget already for the 23".

I imagine either monitor would be fantastic. My recomendation is decide how much you want to spend on it, then buy that falls within that number.
-jim

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
go see them in person. The 20" looks pretty small compared to the 23". My 2 cents. THe 23 is what I decided to get and both were under intense consideration.

jcook793

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
In general, a monitor is a better investment than a computer. I still regularly use my 21" ViewSonic CRT that I bought 4 years ago. It was $900 back then and was a lot of cash for a display, but it still can crank out high resolutions with a great refresh rate. It outlived my old PC and is now happier serving up pixels for my G5.

If I had gone the "cheap" route with a 17" (which back then would have still been several hundred bucks), I would have likely replaced it by now. I vote to get the 23" because it will still be a nice monitor in 5 years. The 20" will (hopefully) be run-of-the-mill.

Now if only I had gotten that 17" monitor back in 2000 I could justify getting a new Cinema Display... :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
LeeTom said:
In my opinion, if you get the 20", there will always be a little part of you wishing you had gotten the 23".

True dat.

I have the 'old' 20" display, and I've sort of always wondered if I'd rather have had the 23". The answer: no, not really, because the 23" didn't, to me, look as good. It was bigger, but the image quality of the then-newer 20" was better.

But now, with excellent quality for both, I'd spend part of each and every day wanting the extra real estate the 23" provides.

Only 3" bigger? Yeah. But 30 percent more pixels!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Mr. Anderson said:
But for just a little more money than the 23" you can get 2 20" LCDs :D

That's what I'm doing....

D

I suppose you mean two non-Apple 20" LCDs, right? Or else $600 is "just a little more money"?

The new ACDs are beautiful. I'm not sure I'd want 2 smaller, other brand ones. I hate the gap between them, regardless of manufacturer. However, for you graphics professional types, I know two screens are better than one.

papersushi

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Get 23'', the reason? As a human being, you will always wish you could have had the bigger display for your desktop.

Chaywa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Athens, OH
The End

Just to put a cap on this, I have decided to go with the 23". How could I live with anything less. This computer is my bread and butter and the monitor is how I interact with it. So thank you all for your comments. There is a tax holiday coming up so a trip to the local apple store will save me shipping costs and $80 that would have gone to this state. That $ sounds like a nice night out with my wife. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.