Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Okay... for christmas this december, my dad told me i could get a G5... I have to help work and pay for some of it but i dont want what happened to me last year. I got a $650 G4 powermac 733mhz .. a month later after christmas, or however long that was... the mac mini was released for $500, man!. Well this year I want to get a G5, I'm use to the performance of a G4 *800mhz w/Geforce2MX and 1gb of ram. I'm not sure what kinda of performance to get out of a G5 machine compared to what I am use to. If apple seems to release the new Mactel machines right after I get my G5, and the performance was better than the G5... think i could just about sell my G5 tower for as much if not more than the new Mactel machines will be? I just want to get into some extreme editing and a little bit of more gaming.

Edit: made a mistake ... typed G5 800mhz instead of G4 lol.. oops

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
stevey500 said:
Okay... for christmas this december, my dad told me i could get a G5... I have to help work and pay for some of it but i dont want what happened to me last year. I got a $650 G4 powermac 733mhz .. a month later after christmas, or however long that was... the mac mini was released for $500, man!. Well this year I want to get a G5, I'm use to the performance of a G5 800mhz w/Geforce2MX and 1gb of ram. I'm not sure what kinda of performance to get out of a G5 machine compared to what I am use to. If apple seems to release the new Mactel machines right after I get my G5, and the performance was better than the G5... think i could just about sell my G5 tower for as much if not more than the new Mactel machines will be? I just want to get into some extreme editing and a little bit of more gaming.

Don't think twice about getting a Power Mac G5. They are awesome computers.

The Power Mac G5's are Superfast- it will blow your G4 out of the water!!!

I absolutely love my Power Mac- highly, highly recommended! :D

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
What will you use it for?

While possible, it's highly doubtful that Apple will release PowerMacs or iMacs based on Intel processors before the end of 2006 at the earliest. Remember, Steve Jobs claimed the transition would occur over a period of about 18 months from mid-2006 to late-2007. Judging from Intel's recent processor roadmaps, it seems likely the *Books will be switched to Intel chips first.

So if you're looking at getting a PowerMac then a G5 this December would still be a good system when the switch to Intel is finished 2 years later.

But whether you want to spend that kind of money depends on what you'll do with the computer. Play Doom 3? Edit video? Surf the web and send email? Your system is fine for #3 and still probably respectable for #2. A G5 would certainly be great for all 3.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
you could always play it safe and ask your dad to delay your xmas gift until mid-January when MWSF occurs.

Pro - you could get something newer/better than what you'd order in December. Wahoo!

Con - you may wait until until mid January and all they release are new xserves and higher capacity ipod shuffles. D'oh!

Basically, it's a crapshoot. But you do have a lot of time between now and then to decide your course of action.

I was in your shoes with this last year. I ended up buying an iMac just before MWSF and held my breath hoping that a new one wouldn't be released. I lucked out, though I did miss out on iLife '05 that I ended up buying later on...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.