To go HD or not to go HD...

Discussion in 'Community' started by hotwire132002, Dec 4, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

...that is the question.

I'm still in the market for a new camcorder, and I'm wondering if I should spend ~$2000 on a good standard def camcorder or if I'm better off going HD with Sony's HDV-FX1 for $3500.

I'll be using the camcorder for a wide range of filming situations--from weddings to ENG to indie films. The latter is the main reason I'd like HD.

What do you think--is HD a good idea, or a waste of money?

2. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I am by no means an authority on HD, but from what I have heard, there is no point. Not when there is new technology on the way, from what I have heard, HD is going to be sort lived.

I've also heard that it is being pushed onto the public, its not going to be as a big thing as DVD's were when they were accepted, a lot of people don't see the point.

I wouldn't touch it, then again... I don't own a TV anyway! :)

3. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

by all means i'm no expert, but i can aim to give my advice.. :)

at the moment, i dont reckon the hd adaption rate is quite enough for you to justify getting an HD Camcorder. Are you doing this for profit or non profit?

if you're doing this and aiming to make a profit, you can always upgrade later on..

/asif

4. wms121 macrumors regular

..depends...you near a major rental location?

I have met Randall Paris Dark of HD Vision Dallas and he knows more about the
    Pro End that I do...that being said.
    ........................................................................................................
    Randall's website:

http://www.hdvisionbc.com/
    ........................................................................................................
    Could you afford to wait for Ultra HD...4000 lines and very experimental (and also very expensive)?

...or...do you have a G5 now and are considering using the full 64-bit capability on edit programs..and effects (money saving items if you know how to port from SGI Irix to POWER5 code)...then again..

IF you rent...generate production quality material..and have already contacted an advanced technology company and/or LA/NY/Canadian effects house...does your (eventual?) budget permit you to upgrade from 1080i to 1080p (24fps) or beyond? Sony's Lucasfilm camera (and Panasonic's) use the
    1080p format slowed down to 24 frames per second in order to get deeper color/contrast and more effective screen dynamics in large frame shots.

Not recommended for live sports though.

You could post your query on one of the HD Pro sites as well...please tell them you asked us first (they may come by here and thank us).

WW

http://thevideoengineer.vstoremarket.com

5. Pietoela macrumors newbie

BE ahead

why being afraid of HD. It's becomming a new standard all over the word. Japan is way ahead. For the moment I'm doing a belgium show fully HD captured and the diverence is BIG.
    A normally camera you are stull stuck at 625 lines (EUR 525US), HD brings that up to 1920 x 1024 pixels. Means double lines equall better picture. I'm not sure of consumer HD CAM's. The sony 3000€ (belgium) looked great I know the panasonic has also one but I'm not sure about that's cam.

GO FOR IT and let High def take over your live.

Pieter.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

HD definitely... It would be like buying a Projection non-widescreen HDTV right now, its going to look like (even more) crap once everything goes wide-screen.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would suggest that instead of getting one HD camcorder you get two good DV camcorders with the same capital expenditure.

This will give you more capability and you will be going with proven technology.

No one knows the future of HD at this point in time. This way you get great capability now, and then in the future you can always upgrade to HD if need be.

Sushi

8. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I think that's an extremely good point. What DV camcorder in the $2000 price range would you all suggest? I'm thinking GL2, what are your thoughts?

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think you might be confusing HD, as a format, w/the battle between HD-DVD & Blu-Ray (two competeing formats for the next generation of DVD). HD, as a format, is here to stay. In 10 years analog TV will not exist. Over the air broadcasts as well as cable will be in HD. The NTSC standard was established by the FCC in 1941 and the addition of color in '53 is the last time TV got an "upgrade."

hotwire132002,
    Isn't there a two page thread in the "Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion" section about this same thing? ;)

Lethal

10. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Do not get HD...

When I was in New York everybody was telling me to get an HD but no one was asking me for the camera. I bought a Sony VX-2100 Mini DV and that is the one I ma using, even that no one wants to pay what it should cost, so... do not waste your time if you are not in the market for it. People in the media talk to much BS, you can start by asking then what they have in first place.

I would sugest you to get a Sony like mine just because it is incredible in low light conditions and very easy to use. When I say "incredible" it mean that when I was in New York I could see the rats in the dark in the subway while I was not able to do it is my own eyes, and that was without any infra red device, the Sony really absorb light and without grain.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

HD is not mandated by the FCC just that all broadcasters must be showing digital by 2006. Don't confuse HD and Digital, they are similar but not the same. If you want to buy an HD camera id wait a while before it is more widespread, not enough people have HDTVs to see the content.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Correct, but HD is the defacto digital. The FCC basically said, by this date you will be broadcasting a digital signal. It was up to the industry to figure out the format and what not. I think the date to stop analog broadcasts will get pushed back again (it was '02 before it was pushed back to '06).

Lethal

13. Penman macrumors regular

Wow - I'm late to this but you've got some ultra crappy advice here from self professed neophytes.

HD is the future. The question is - can you afford to wait to the better cams Sony will release - and the as yet unreleased HD cams from Canon and Panasonic. If you're a pro (and ENG suggests you are) then you should go HD ASAP. Your problem will be editing by Final Cut can handle HDV format with the help of a $100 plug-in (don't be fooled Final Cut HD does not handle the HDV format used in the Sony camera natively yet - though Apple have pledged to). Final Cut 5 will almost certainly fix this.

In 12-18 months it'll be very hard to pitch SD footage against HD footage in the pro-marketplace. Any footage that's designed to have a lifespan (like Wedding videos) will benifit from the more advanced format. Plus you can sell HD DVD's of old weddings to your clients when HD-DVD hits in a year or so too.

HD will not be superceeded anytime soon. It's near the limit of perceptible quality to most people (like CD in the audio field which people are very reluctant to 'upgrade' from). George Lucas shot Star Wars in HD. It'll be a while before cinema quality will be surpassed in the home.

If your an amateur the current last-gen SD cameras are excellent. I'd advise not spending $3000 on an XL2 though. It'll be an expensive brick as soon as Canon go HDV and you might not be able to take your accessories with you.

Go with the Sony (preferably the pro-version on the streets in Feb) or a sub $2000 SD camera. You'll be laughing.