to help you sleep

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Feb 9, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    What do you do to help you sleep at night? if You are stressed out what do you do?
  2. Poeben macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2004
    I can think of a bunch of things that prevent me from sleeping at night. The only thing that really helps me is getting up early and putting in a full day of hard work. Aside from that I'm up until 3-4 am every night.
  3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Aside from depressants (drugs/alcohol), I find a good book eases me into unconsciousness.
  4. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    hey, some people read, some listen to music. Are most theories that you listen to music when you are depressed?
  5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I think there is music to suite every mood. I often listen to somber music when depressed, and upbeat, energetic music when I'm happy.

Classical music is also conducive to sleep. Just turn the lights down low, listen for awhile, and reflect. Often just sitting down and not doing anything in particular will help put you to sleep.
  6. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Candles and writing in a paper journal, or candles and some not-too-intense reading.
  7. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Two teaspoons of Benadryl and half a glass of warm milk do the trick every time :)

Edit - Just saw your other post. Yup, Benadryl does have that effect on some people. Although you won't know it until you give it a try.
  8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    My advice: stay away from your computer. I could stay up forever just surfing the internet.
  9. Rend It macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2003
    United States
    I've often had trouble falling asleep. A little understanding of how your body works goes a long way. Almost all living creatures, including humans, have internal biological clocks. Typically, the natural period for us is a little less than 25 hours. Light and melatonin affect our internal clocks by either advancing or retarding the phase of our internal oscillators. When light hits us (primarily through the eyes, though the receptors are separate from the ones responsible for vision), it adjusts our timing, so to speak, so that we become synchronized with the external 24-hour cycle. For a very good discussion, see the book by Steven Strogatz.

So, what does that mean? Try to spend the two hours before you go to bed in dim or no light. Candlelight serves this purpose well. If you stay up staring at the computer with all the lights on, your body thinks it's still daylight out, and tries to stay awake. On the same note, sleep in as much dark as possible, and leave your window blinds open in such a way that the sunlight shines in on you in the morning (assuming, or course, that you want to be on a "normal" schedule). This will trigger your body's clock to speed up, in preparation for the day.

That will ultimately help you in the long term. For immediate relief, I very highly recommend a half-glass of wine before you go to bed (if you're not opposed to alcohol). I've tried sleeping aids such as Benadryl, melatonin, etc., and they either aren't powerful enough, or leave me very tired when I eventually do get up. I have seriously tried to battle a sleeping issue for the last 3 years (but I've always been on a weird schedule). I didn't want specialized drugs from a doctor, either. Wine seems to work perfect for me. It makes me very relaxed, adds sleep pressure, and I get such good sleep that I feel much more energy when I get up in the morning.

One thing I learned from reading the above book is that you shouldn't beat yourself up if you have trouble with getting on a schedule. Everyone's biological clock period varies. Some are closer to 24 hours, some are much less, and some are much more. But the issue has been compounded in our modern era because of interior lighting. Long ago, when it was dark outside, it was dark inside, as well.

Hope this helps!

P.S., I'm up late tonight b/c I just saw Interpol, not b/c I'm still having sleep issues. :D
  10. Tcnorman macrumors newbie

Sep 2, 2004
    Tylenol PM and iTunes Vis

I found that taking a couple of tylenol pm, then laying down in bed with my powerbook and putting on some mellow tunes with the visualization can help do the trick. If that doesn't work throw a couple of beers into the mix.
  11. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    nothing is better than a warm cup of milk and cookies

what is stressing you out?

perhaps, if you feel comfortable about it, maybe you can make a thread about your problems, and we can help you out?
  12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    Like another poster mentioned, how about some wine?
    How about *ahem* "clearing the pipes"? :D
    I play some old NES games to relax me before going to bed, like Tetris or Tennis.
    Or the classic, read a book. Sherlock Holmes always makes me sleepy.
  13. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
  14. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    I have some concerns about finance being in College and what is happening in the world. I am trying to get an outside loan and my suite mate in my apartment is going to move in april. I need a co-signer and I don't have many people to help. Also the problem that i have is, i wanted my grandmother to come to my graduation, and even though they knew in advance, they cared more about my family in Seattle, instead and came out three months earlier.

I met a really good freind at the begginig of the year. I want to tell you this story. He showed me his ID from three years ago. I saw his face and said, was it as hard for you as it was for me? and he said you already know the answer to that. then I saw him later on campus, and I told him how my parrents had hardly refused to pay tuitition, and that we had to make an aggreement to come here. The friend is a great yoga person, and we hang out together. When I told him about how my dad wouldn't pay tuition, he saw pain in me.

I told him was it as hard as it was for ou as it was for me, because the reason why was I knew it would make us have a freindship, though there were thousands of times I was going to end it.

He actually called my dad and gave him his number and said he was helping me with yoga. But it has been four days and my dad has not called. I had told him some about my family. My dad is rich, and we still fight, so, I saw him yesterday, and said, has he called? He said he thought I told him not to call me, but he had forgotten that he gave him his number and not mine. I said, he won't call, you have to pay for that.

I had asked my parrents for a graduation present, and the present, was housing in Seattle. the housing, he looked at the most expencive ones, and they said it costed to much, so I said no present. When they were willing to pay full tuition at Brown. I am 26 as you saw in my post, and at this wedding, it was supposed to be a time of happiness, it was not. They judged me when I didn't want to do certin things etc. The cousin I loved that I went there to go see, she, has now changed her cell phone number. I can't even call her. This is my graduation year. I am going to stay the summer and do a contract to learn about classical music and record a song I wrote.

I sometimes ask a friend, about an old friend in the solidarity movement? The friend, says you often ask about her? I said, well I cared about her. He wonders why? I don't know. I don't know, why I can't ask.

So I would rather live in an apartment in Seattle, but I don't know how I can afford one.

any advise?
  15. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
    Go and get some help. You seem to have some problems that help over the net won't solve. You are obviously an intelligent person and just need a little help sorting these problems.

Good luck
  16. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    I agree. A little bit of professional help now will go a long way to making your life a lot easier in the future.
  17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    I agree with the other posters that you should talk to a professional...It would be best if you could get your parents there, too. You should work things out and try to create a healthy relationship with your parents.
  18. swanny macrumors regular

Nov 12, 2004
    Hi Indifference

Hi there hope you don't mind me saying
    but you seem a little "stressed" out....
    When was the last time you had a good holiday
    and I don't mean with your family.
    I know how hard school can be....
    I had a hard time with stomach problems
    especially during math....
    and plus I had a witch for a wife at the time
    but besides that....
    Do you feel maybe school is zoomin by to fast for
    you and if so would you consider maybe contacting student
    services.... and they could get you some assistance
    or make some good suggestions
    sorry if I"m over reacting.
    I think you have some good things going
    like the environmental concerns and art therapy
    and music therapy and yoga
    I have some similar interests
    any way take care of yourself

19. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
  20. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    There's a difference between chronic sleep disorders and temporary stress-related sleep difficulties. For the stress-related kind, often the lack of sleep adds to the stress in a vicious cycle that can be hard to break.

Less stress might be the ticket for you. Try to take things one day at a time, and most importantly, don't run yourself into the ground with worry. If you catch yourself going over and over things in your head that you can't do anything constructive about, steer your thoughts towards what you CAN accomplish. And if you've done everything you can for the moment, then take that moment to relax.

Also--don't sweat the interpersonal drama so much. The whole "he told me that the other guy said that I told him, etc" stuff won't accomplish anything but to wind you up even tighter. Again, take some deep breaths and relax.
  21. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Half a bottle of Petron usually does it.
    Don Julio works equally well..

Silver, all the way, all the time...
  22. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    Usually a book will do it. If I'm really stressed I reach for the generic version of Tylenol PM from Costco 1/2 a blue pill and I'm out.
  23. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    Sheesh. Let's not recommend alchohol and drugs to a person who's going through a stressful and emotional time. I find the best bets for regular sleep are having a schedule (go to bed and get up the same time every day), avoiding artificial light (at least around bedtime, though wouldn't it be nice to use the sun as your light?), and get plenty of excercise. Excercise helps reduce stress, I find swimming particularly soothing. Try to limit caffeine intake, this includes sodas, coffee, and tea. Yes, even decaf has a decent dose of caffeine, and this will wreck the schedule you're trying to create.

If you're feeling stressed or depressed, remember this astonishing fact: If you fake a smile or a laugh you will frequently find yourself genuinely smiling and laughing after a moment. I've read that doing activities you tend to do while happy will actually improve your outlook. Try it! If a good mood makes you want to take a walk, take a walk next time you're feeling down. It works.
  24. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    Read your long post concerning your issues.

It looks like you are stressed out and need some professional help.

As for sleeping, the best way is to get into a routine of some sort. I've seen/used two systems that work well. One is based on going to bed and waking up at the same time each day. The key is to wake up at the same time regardless of when you go to bed. So some nights you may only get 1-2 hours of sleep. The other one is based on sleeping a set number of hours that you require. The hard part is figuring out what that hour figure is. Let's say that it is 6.5 hours. Then you would set your alarm clock to wake up 6.5 hours later (after you go to sleep).

As for getting to sleep, try to do the same thing each time before you hit the hay. By following the same steps, you get your body into a routine that culminates with sleep.

Other questions you might want to consider:

- Are you getting enough exercise?

- Are you eating the right foods?

- Is your diet to high in salt or cafene content?

- Is your sleeping environment good?

- How much sleep does your body require per day?

Best to you.