To iBook or to Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ph0rce, Jul 18, 2005.

1. ph0rce macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    Right, this is how it is. i need a 12" Apple portable, this means powerbook or iBook. I an a school kid so i don't want to go spending H U G E ammounts on stuff. I already have a Mac Mini and i love it. I will be going to the new Apple store in Bluewater (UK) next Monday.

I will be using the laptop for school work and a bit of everything really. I will use Photoshop but not for huge files, just for touching up pictures and making logos etc. speed in photoshop is not really a problem...

So these are the options : -

iBook 12" -

1.2GHz PowerPC G4
    512K L2 cache (at 1.2GHz)
    12-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    30GB Ultra ATA drive - is this really enough? should i get the 40 or 60 GB?
    DVD/CD-RW drive - Don't really need a superdrive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory - Dont really play games that much
    AirPort Extreme built-in - connecting to my existing network, using a Netgear router (this is ok i think)

Powerbook 12"

• 512MB DDR333 (256MB built-in + 256MB SO-DIMM) - will not upgrade due to lack of money
    • 60GB Ultra ATA drive (5400rpm) - sounds like a better size
    • Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    • AirPort Extreme Card same as before
    • Keyboard & Mac OS
    • 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 - more powerful than my mac mini but will i need it?
    • 12.1-inch TFT display
    • NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5200 - 64MB DDR - dont play many games...
    • 56K internal modem
    • Power Adapter
    • Battery

So, i either get the iBook or Powerbook. i am thinking an iBook would be better for me due to the price difference. Next year i hope to be getting a Powerbook 15" Pentium 4 (MacTel). Then i need to think about a car.... but thats a different matter :)

if you have any thoughts, PLEASE post, i really dont want to blow my money on the powerbook if i wont be needing so much power...

thanks a lot,
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    I would go with the iBook, but definitely get the 60GB (there is no 40GB, 60GB (+$75) and there's the 80GB(+$125). Get the 60GB.

Since you have the mini, you can use that too, so I think the iBook will make a good laptop for you.
  3. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    if you can get either, definately get the powerbook. it will feel much faster. but by next monday, i think that new laptops will have been released.
  4. ph0rce thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    yea, i was going to go there the week end just gone but backed out because of that rumor.... best be true :-D
  5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    Last summer I purchased an iBook, but in January I replaced it, with a Powerbook. The Powerbook is a much more enjoyable experience. Everything works so much better, and there are a lot of great additional features, like the fantastic video output options.

Furthermore, the Powerbook will be worth more than an iBook in a year, if you sell it then, it would cover more of the cost, for your new Intel one.

However, if the iBook is going to treat your pocketbook a lot easier, it is still a capable machine. My hunch is they are going to be updated this week.
  6. ph0rce thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    yep, i'll have to see what happens tomorow / later this week and if something big happens that would be cool.... maybe a MacTel Powerbook lol :)

any how, thanks u guys for ur help, i will be back later to see if anyone else has posted :)

just one other question,

does the powerbook 12" have that Open GL thing with the widgets so it like makes a podle effect?
  7. gamestriker macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2004
    You mean CoreImage? Then yes, the GPU in the PowerBook 12" is CoreImage compatible (you'll have the pretty puddle effect). :)
  8. ph0rce thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    ah yea, core image then :)

yep i love that effect thing... that could sway it for me lol, what other cool effects does it do? and i thought the genie effect to the dock was cool!
  9. The_Man macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2005
    I would say go for the iBook, mainly because you said that you do not what to blow a lot of money. I think the current iBook will be fine for what you plan to do on it.
  10. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    An iBook with that much RAM should be very sufficient for your needs. Go for that and you should be happy for years or until you decide to upgrade.
  11. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Check the refurb section of and look for a refurb powerbook. Personally I like the powerbook series more- smaller, better looking, nicer keyboard (IMO!), better video card, bluetooth, faster, better casing material, you can span and mirror monitors (ibooks only mirror), etc. The new powerbooks 12" 1.5ghz also feature the sudden motion sensor (HD protection if drop sensation felt) and sidetrack (scrolling feature). I would say have 1.2ghz be your min proccessor speed, have at least 512mb, and have at least 60gb hard drive space.

Looking at the Apple Store's Refurb Dept right now I see:

1.5ghz 12" powerbook combo (stock model): $1299
    (put some RAM money in if you want- 3rd party of course)

1.33ghz 12" powerbook superdrive 60gb/256mb: $1299
    (put some ram money in)

1.5ghz powerbook superdrive (stock model) $1499

They also have a 1ghz combo drive 256/40gb for a mere $999

Good Luck
  12. guylafleur macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2004
    Tokyo, Japan
    refurb powerbook all the way

I bought a 1.5ghz and am loving it. The scrolling effect alone is great, and adds to the portability. I refuse to buy a mouse for this thing.

The graphics are awesome, the speed is great, and the keyboard...ahhh the keyboard. If you type a lot, you`ll want the powerbook. Seriously, the keyboard and the touchpad alone are much better than the ibook.

Also, the audio line-in is a nice bonus that the ibook doesn`t have, if you`re going to use it(which I do).

If you buy a refurb powerbook 1.5 ghz, the price difference suddenly becomes inconsequential, and the ibook starts to look like not such a deal with the necessary RAM and hard-drive upgrades, not to mention you`ll need to drag a mouse around if you`re a serious web-surfer.
  13. TheSisko macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2005
  14. ph0rce thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    i cant seem to find any refurb items on the UK site :(

will continue looking :)
  15. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    I love my iBook. I would say get one, due to the price, and also then you can up the RAM, which should be better. I really don't see why you need a powerbook, especially if you are looking to get one next year.

16. ph0rce thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    Yep that sorts it, iBook G4 12" On Monday, even if there is no upgrades.
  17. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
  18. KooF macrumors newbie

Jul 19, 2005

really i have friends with powerbooks and ibooks.
    I myself took the powerbook.

-it's much more durable, ALUMINIUM
    -it's all included, like WIFI Airport and Bluetooth
    -new scroll pad system and HDD protection
    -it's faster !
    -it has better videocard CORE IMAGE SUPPORT - better looks and system performance in osx tiger

ibook, has no core image support, and it scratches like hell.
    no offense ibook is a cool laptop. but it is on a budget.
    either way, your buying Apple and it's a great thing, but with little extra money powerbook will be stunningly great.