to install or not to install?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by RonJ83, Nov 1, 2004.

1. RonJ83 macrumors member

i am new to this forum and would just to say hi to everyone, and please forgive my newb-ness. This is my first Mac and ive had it for about 2 months, i love the way it looks, runs and feels compared to my PCs, but im not going to knock pcs cause i still use them from time to time. My questions is that i only use my PB for internet surfing, occasional AIM, and homework with Office *had to get it because i need to email my papers to my professors and ALL of them are using Office 2003* do i really need to install a antivirus program? i have norton but i dont want to use it if i dont need to. I had norton on my pcs and it was a resource hog, should i install it on my mac (i have a mac edition)...i reinstalled the system CD that came with my PB and i purposely didnt install IE, Garageband, itunes, and programs like that because i really dont need them, that is okay right? the only programs i have and use on my PB is Office 2004 - student teacher edition, AIM *rarely used*, and Safari (i love the stability on this browser but i cant seem to play videos from Launch.com) is there anything else i need? like a disk optimizer software, firewall software. any advice would be well apreciated. thanks in advance

Ron

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

DOn't use a anti virus program. Like another poster said Its like using a condom while masturbating.

Launch.com Videos are nearly impossible to play on Macs

You don't really need anything else. I think you are good to go.

3. RonJ83 thread starter macrumors member

that has got to be one of the funniest things ive heard in a while. thanks for the heads up.