To Intel or Not

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattc, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. mattc macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    Melb, Australia
    #1
    I know that this topic has been done to death, but I am thinking about buying a iMac 20" for the web design work that I do. I currently use a 17" PowerBook 1.33 GHz with 1.5 GB Ram but am finding it a little slow for some of the Photoshop and Flash work that I am doing. Should I get the new 20" iMac or wait for the Intel versions with the hope of increased processor power for demanding applications?
     
  2. Monyx macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2005
    Location:
    Australia
    #2
    What is the balance between your need and want? That will determine which route you take. If one has to think about it for too long then I'd suggest they can wait it out for Intel.

    OTOH if it's more a need then decision is easy - I have a need today, my current hardware is 5yo G4DP 500MHz. FCP, DVDSP and CS1 RAW processing is testing my patience, I *could* wait it out but the final nail was the fact I can't run some of the new software like Aperture - so I'm looking at new PowerMac, despite having reservations about buying into an (Apple) defunct CPU.
     
  3. Devie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #3
    Since you already have a fairly decent machine, I'd say wait for the Intel Mac's to come. If you had a really slow computer then buy asap...
     
  4. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

    Texas04

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2005
    Location:
    Texas
    #4
    Like me, I will be buying a new Powrbook VERY soon, because my iMac is as old as dirt... :D
     
  5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

    mcarnes

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    USA! USA!
    #5
    Buy now. Focus on making money not saving it. :D
     

Share This Page