to macbook or not to macbook??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arsenalroc, Oct 14, 2006.

  1. arsenalroc macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    #1
    I start uni in Januray but i need a notebook by late november. I desperately want a core 2 duo macbook because i plan to use it for 3-5 years. the problem is that aside from the millions of rumors about the release there has been no definate news to when it will come out! :( :mad: . I am in a dillema- should i take the risk and wait till the last moment to buy it or instead go to my second option- the Acer Ferrari 1004WTMi or even a dell XPS m1210. I have never used an apple computer before and was looking foward to getting a macbook but it would seem that the merom chips would take a while. What do i do??:confused: :confused: I have only used an apple computer for short periods of time and i would expect i would take some time getting used to the new OS. Do you give in and just get a core duo or wait for the core 2 duo? or worse yet get an acer or dell?
     
  2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #2
    Well.. I hate XP.. and basically only use it for classes that require me to do so (grumblegrumblegrumble), so I would never opt for an Acer or Dell simply because there were rumors that eventually the current Apple lappy will be updated.... :confused:

    I'm sure the current MB will meet your needs and then some, so I would just go for it. The merom update has a minimal performance upgrade, and I bet means very little to the average user, anyways.

    Oh, and IMO, the MB will last you longer than either the Dell or the Acer, especially considering if in 2 years your decide you want a new one, you'll be able to get much more for the MB than you would for a 2 year old pc.
     
  3. arsenalroc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    #3
    i guess I am not so worried about the speed rather if there will be an upgrade in RAM capacity or a bigger hard-drive. I am also hoping they fix most of the problems in the 1st generation MBs. So i'll guess i will have to wait it out on my crappy HP pavillion a4266d! :(
     
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #4
    Even if the MBP gets Merom, there's no guarantee that the MacBook would get Merom at the same time. They may get an upgraded Core Duo processor instead, like the faster ones that are already in the MBP models.


    And besides, is the reason why you're considering an Apple computer because of the processor? Probably not. Whatever you end up with will be fast. RAM will make the difference. I'd just get 2 GB of RAM.
     
  5. YS2003 macrumors 68020

    YS2003

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location:
    Finally I have arrived.....
    #5
    I heard Core2Duo's power would be restricted with the current platform (as bus speed is limited to 667 MHz) until the new platform (such as Santa Rosa) will become next year. After reading this on Anandtech, I started having the second thought on the strong benefit of C2D debut on MBP this year. It seems Core Duo is already a good mobile chip as it is. But, after Intel releases the proper flatform for C2D next year, there would be more benefits with C2D.
     
  6. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #6
    I highly doubt the Macbook will get C2D at the same time as the MBP. The Core Duo is more than an adequate processor though.
     
  7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2006
    Location:
    Hoosiertown
    #7
    the core2duo chips aren't all that much faster. 10-15% in desktop models. and since the heat is nolonger an issue with the current chips. also the whole 64bit v.s. 32bit thing wont be an issue. I doubt apple will kill off 32bit any time soon.
     
  8. ThunderLounge macrumors 6502

    ThunderLounge

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    #8
    FWIW, since you have some time, give it a couple of weeks. If there isn't an update, go for it. Unless you're an extreme power user, you most likely won't notice any difference between a Core Duo, and Core 2 Duo. The current machines are quite capable, and listening to someone yack on and whine about it not having C2D yet isn't really helping the average user.

    You could also get one of the "refurbished" units and save a little bit too. The only essential difference is the refurbb come in a brown box instead of a white one. However, with a student discount the difference in price might not be a consideration, as I don't think that the refurbs apply, but you can always check.

    I perosnally don't see Apple adopting the entire Santa Rosa platform, and it's the chipset that will make the biggest difference with the C2D processor. This chipset is, or all but is, ready from what I've read around the net. With this in mind, it wouldn't surprise me to see the new chipset in the upcoming updates. My best "guess" right now from all the information available is that the C2D processor simply isn't much to talk about until it has the tools it needs. An average 5% bump isn't much if it can't fully support 64-bit operations. Hence the possible wait being in part to the new chipset, which is ready or all but ready. While this chipset will be part of the SR platform, there's more to it than that.

    As already mentioned, if you're seriously considering a Mac, there's more to it than just a little "2" in the name of the processor. From this side of the fence, the pro's outweigh the con's in the little number. You either want a Mac, or you don't. If they had PIII's in them, then it would be a consideration. However as it is now, CD/C2D isn't much of a sticking point yet.
     
  9. l4t13 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    #9
    i was thinking about getting mine, but think i will wait. i just cant justify spending 2000 on something that will be outdated soon, even though with tech. it is hard to keep up, id rather wait to something is first released then buy it.
     

Share This Page