To MBP or not to MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The Grood, May 17, 2006.

  1. The Grood macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2006
    #1
    Before taking the plunge with a fully loaded 17" MBP...

    Has anyone heard of any 17" MBP problems yet? eg the dead pixels, whines, heat etc reported for the 15" version?

    Any major updates/revision due soon (eg Core 2 Due chips etc) worth waiting a little longer for?

    Also, what extras upgrades would anyone recommend paying for, or avoiding?

    Any help gratefully received.
     
  2. Lewisham macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2003
    #2
    I have to say, that unless dedicated graphics really floats your boat, the MBPs do not represent a good purchase right now. You could get an MB, and an external display and have the best of both worlds.

    As someone else has noted, the MBPs are probably right now in a state of transition, heading towards Core 2. I would wait for those if you are dead-set on an MBP.
     
  3. The Grood thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2006
    #3
    Hmmmm.

    DO NOT like the sound of the word 'transition.'

    Thought yesterday's speed hike might be it for the next few months?
     
  4. Lewisham macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2003
    #4
    Well yeah, in a few months everything will get better. Just buy when you need. However, the extra money between the MB and MBP is pretty damn hefty, and all you're going to get is a bit extra screen space and dedicated graphics. That makes, value-wise, the MBP hard to recommend right now.If you *need* those things, then your hand is forced. However, Core 2 MBPs should be out in less than 6 months I would wager.
     
  5. emotion macrumors 68040

    emotion

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #5
    Yeah I'd guess these were coming in September (maybe August).
     
  6. The Grood thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2006
    #6
    Hmmmm. August.

    What about 17" noises? 17" Heat?

    Any reports yet?
     

Share This Page