To Mini Mac or Not

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tmp0404, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. tmp0404 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    Location:
    PA
    #1
    Greetings,

    So we are all aware that Apple upgraded the Mac Mini, but of course never indicated this on their web site. Yes I know you get at least what you order, and might even get something better, but I believe this is just a poor business practice.

    Any ways, with the intel Mac Mini right around the corner, (January), should one Mini Mac now, or wait?

    Any insights you might want to provide are most welcome, and happy new year to all of you.
     
  2. topgunn macrumors 65816

    topgunn

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2004
    Location:
    Texas
    #2
    Depends on what kind of software you use. If you use Apple software products 90% of the time, then wait for the Intel based mini. If you are using 3rd party software, you may be better off getting the last generation G4 mini. Either way, it is probably better to wait until after MWSF because if new minis are announced, the price on the old ones should drop.
     
  3. Seasought macrumors 65816

    Seasought

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    #3
    How bad do you want/need a Mac mini right now? Keep in mind nothing is definite with regard to the upcoming expo; it's all speculation. If you wait, you may have to contend with problems getting a new mini (if that is what is announced) due to demand, or you might have problems that sometimes arrive with the first revision of a new product.

    I was in a similar situation with my Powerbook last month and decided to "buy now" instead of waiting on pins and needles for one rumor or another to be validated. Of course, for me I was switching from Windows to Mac for the first time so I was slightly more obsessed and excited about my purchase.
    :D
     
  4. tmp0404 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    Location:
    PA
    #4
    I'm not in gotta have it mode, although I would like one for home use. I was really ready to buy one a few months back, and low and behold, Apple upgrades the mac mini, and tells no one. Again I still find it hard to believe that as we ring in 2006, the Apple web site still has the mini listed with old specifications.

    Since the rummored mac mini is just a few weeks away, I probably will wait. Hopefully Apple will change their web site accordingly.

    Happy New Year
     
  5. Seasought macrumors 65816

    Seasought

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    #5
    Sounds like a plan. Keep us updated if you decide to make a purchase. :D
     
  6. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

    kingcrowing

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Location:
    Burlington, VT
    #6
    12 DAYS TO MWSF!!!! OMGZZ @!!@!@! ahem.... yeah, just wait, worst case senario is no updates, best case is big updates and/or price drop... when its this close it never hurts to wait
     
  7. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

    TheMasin9

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2004
    Location:
    Huber Heights, OH
    #7
    how many of these threads are there gonna be...

    if you can wait then wait, if you need to buy buy, simple as that, you wont be dissapointed either way.
     
  8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #8
    Definatly wait and see what steve announces before purchasing as i think its a given mac mini's will recieve an official update Intel or Not,

    Shadow
     
  9. p0intblank macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #9
    Anyone think of this... this January is the Mac mini's one year anniversary! :) I think a nice gift to us would be an Intel upgrade. ;)
     
  10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #10
    The 1.5 /1.33 are having very short runs in my view, yonah powered stuff should be coming plus motoscale has a poor poor record with getting its chips to apple. Perhaps Motoscale was forced under contract to give Apple 1.33/1.5s because they cant make enough 1.25/1.4 to keep up with mini demand and Apple is about to jump ship anyways so they arent mentioning the 1.5 G4. Now if we can just get a better video chip then the 9200 Mini would be Jamming for sure.
     
  11. cwedl macrumors 65816

    cwedl

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2003
    #11
    I bought a Mac Mini when they first came out, I kept it for about 4 months before I sold it! I thought it was too slow, when I went back to my Powerbook its was so much faster.
    If I where you, wait until they ship it with an intel chip! it will be so much faster!
     
  12. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

    NYmacAttack

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    Location:
    NY
    #12
    I just hope they dont move to integrated graphics chips :mad:
     
  13. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    Location:
    CA
    #13

    yeah, i got a mini too, but thought it was a little too slow for my daily needs. i gave it to my mom to replace the 8 year old dell. i would agree and say wait to see what's coming because i wasn't terribly satisfied with the current mini's performance even on relatively basic tasks.
     
  14. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

    dops7107

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2005
    Location:
    Perth, Oztrailya
    #14
    Surely not. At lauch time, Apple made a big song-and-dance about how the Mini was excellent value for money because it had a dedicated (albeit measly) graphics chip/memory.
     
  15. tmp0404 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    Location:
    PA
    #15
    Thanks for all the comments folks, obviously, the thing to do at this point in 2006, is be patient, and wait. Hopefully, the wait will be worth it, the upgrade will be real, and some of us can start the new year out with the mac minitel.:D
     

Share This Page