To Mini or Not

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tsk, Jan 15, 2005.

1. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    So I feel myself getting dragged into the Mini craze.

Here's my situation:

I have 2 systems: a PB 12" 1Ghz and a Linux/Windows box. At some point I'd like to upgrade the PB to a 15" but I've decided the best time to probably do that is in fall when they run the iPod/PB student discount. I figure if I upgrade that, it better be worth it (ie, the FSB better get a nice boost in some way shape or form). I'd plan on buying the Mini as soon as I can get it with a copy of Tiger. I'd also install my own memory I have around the house and maybe upgrade the HD at some point.

Right now, I use the PB 95% of the time at home. I generally have it plugged into a monitor and a BT keyboard and use it as a desktop (as I am right now). I just use the Linux/Windows box when I need serious horsepower. But my wife currently uses the Windows box all the time.

I'm thinking the Mini would be an excellent choice to use instead of my PB. It seems like I'm putting all this wear and tear plugging my PB in and out if I want to take it with me. I could put in the Mini and have the desktop my PB has basically become. If anything I'm guessing it would be faster and I'd order it with a SuperDrive that my PB currently lacks. So it seems like I'd get everything I have now (minus the monitor spanning) and probably more, right?

So as I see it, the pros are:

Faster than my current PB and a dedicated desktop.

Gain a superdrive, iLife 05 and Tiger (yes I know I'll burn in hell if I install it on my laptop, but I'll do it anyways).

Maybe can get my wife to start using it since it will always be there at the desk.

It's cute/sexy.

And the cons are:

It's $600 for what I want (anyone who says it's only $600 is welcome to scoop up one of those random piles of $600 you have around the house and mail it to me) which is not exactly chump change.

It's not really that fast. I'll really be as fast as I am now. But I figure if I upgrade in a year, it probably makes a good system to move into the kids room.

It's $600. I think fiscal restraint is the main think keeping me from ordering one....
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Well, on the bright side, you've got months before they ship with Tiger. I'm guessing that, if you set aside $3/day, you'll be more than able to afford one when they're actually shipping with Tiger.

$3/day. Boy, that doesn't sound too bad!

** looks around for piggy bank to start dropping dollar bills into **
  3. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    3bucks a day?

easier said than done...

when you see that 3 bucks jar start filling up..

devious thoughts will start flowing thru your mind...