To New Zealanders and Experienced Ebay Sellers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PharmD, Oct 31, 2005.

1. PharmD macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2005
    Oregon Coast
    Hello Fellas,

I need a bit of help if any of you can provide it. I just sold a notebook on eBay and the buyer is a fellow with an address in Hamilton, New Zealand. The problem I have is that their address is not confirmed and so I am not covered under the Paypal seller protection policy. I'm a little jumpy about fraud because I received about 5 or 6 fraudulent offers during the course of the auction. The seller has an address on Old Farm Road in Hamilton East. I'm also a little hesitant because he/she only has 1 feedback. Can any of you affirm that this is an actual address? They have paid by the way.

Also, how should I send this? I was planning on using Global Express Mail because it has tracking capabilities. I'm just not too sure because this is my first time shipping internationally. Thanks for the help.

2. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
  3. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    If you're using paypal you can't really get get the money and then you ship it. Once you ship it, you're off the hook. Just don't use anything other than Paypal and you're fine.

- If you're buying, be extremely careful, it's much easier to scam buyers than sellers.
    - If you're selling, make sure to only use paypal and only ship once you've got the payment.

And always remember, if you're at all fearful that you could get scammed, end it and save yourself. :)
  4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Yes, you absolutely want a shipping method where the buyer has to sign for delivery AND you get a copy of that signature back.
  5. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2005
    I'm not so sure. There are various chargeback schemes. I don't know
    exactly how they work, but something like: the buyer claims
    to not have received the item, or that the item received was not what
    was purchased, and ebay takes the money (back) out of your paypal account.
    And since you didn't jump through all the hoops of sending to a verified
    address using a trackable shipping method you have lost the item and the

6. PharmD thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2005
    Oregon Coast
    This is what I'm worried about. I have more confidence in the address now and as long as I cover my bases by using tracking methods and keep all my emails, I should have enough proof should something like this happen.

Thanks for that Hexmonkey.

This buyer payed over paypal but said he had to "put money on his credit card in order to pay over paypal" Is this characteristic of a chargeback scam. Also, is there any way to get him to get his address confirmed, so I'll be eligible for Paypal seller protection? Is that possible in NZ?