To order a new powerbook or to wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dasper1, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. dasper1 macrumors newbie

    Apr 10, 2005
    I'm in the market for a new laptop and have decided on the 1.67 GHz G4 15" Powerbook with the upgraded video ram. I went to the Apple store today and they told me that I would have to order the Powerbook online for the configuration I want. They also told me it could take up to 3 weeks for delivery. I was wondering with the near-impending release (knock on wood) of Tiger, whether I should just buy now (most likely through the online store) and hope that it is released between before my laptop is delivered or just wait for it to be released? Furthermore, what is the protocol on pricing with new software released after making a purchase? Another option would be to forget about the upgraded video ram and just buy it from the physical store when Tiger is released. Keep in mind I do not have a computer right now after selling my deskptop and do not want to wait too long.
  2. anjaki macrumors member

    Mar 23, 2003
    Berlin, Germany
    vram is soldered on to the board and is not upgradable.

    I've read on other threads that the Apple Store is telling people who order now, not to worry about the Tiger upgrade, in other words you'll get it.

    Apple usually extends its upgrade policy (unofficially) to people who have ordered within a 30-60 day period before a release.

    I've just bought the same PowerBook but without the 128vram upgrade and I'm well happy with it, I haven't used the desktop since.
    Regarding the vram, there are two schools of thought:

    1. Only upgrade if you intend using a mega sized screen or are heavily into 3D gaming as it drains the battery.

    2. It may affect the new core video and core image features, in as much as if there were any apps out there utilising them, that they might go a bit faster (video editing etc). All Tiger features are reported to run as smooth as silk on vram64.
  3. kretzy macrumors 604


    Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    i was wondering exactly the same thing up until last friday. i got sick of waiting and just went ahead and ordered my PB - G4 1.67 standard. if they give a free tiger upgrade then thats great, if not its not really that much more $ wise (in terms of the amount you're paying for the PB anyway to just buy the upgrade.
  4. dasper1 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 10, 2005
    Thanks for the responses, I've decided to order it online within a day or two, I tried to do some research on the best route for upgrading the ram on the Powerbook, and I assume it would be more expensive to upgrade through the online Apple store than to order from Crucial. On the same note, what are some recommended memory brands for the powerbook for price and performance? I was considering getting the stock 512 when I order the Powerbook and then add in 1 GB to bring the total to 1.5GB. Is this overkill for maybe some gaming and multitasking (no video editing though)?
  5. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

    Mar 15, 2005
    People say you can never have too much ram. I don't want to cheap out.. so i maxxed it out with 2GB of OEM Samsung ram that i found cheap online. It works great i must say..

    BUT... i've had my memory monitor on... and i've actually seen it go over 600mb maybe a few times... and that's gaming with Halo ...
    I do the basic stuff also.. the occasional photoshop.. and its more than enough. 1.5GB is great... when you have the 1GB stick... if you wanted to upgrade in the future for 2GB, you can just sell 1 stick and buy another...
  6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    You are going to wind up with Tiger no matter what if you order now. It will just take Apple longer to ship because Tiger isn't out yet. If they ship you the machine with Panther on it, i think they give you a rebate/free upgrade to Tiger.
  7. maclamb macrumors 6502


    Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    I found this for ram prices:

    I have seen 1 Gig stick for as low as $165!

    I too am going to go for 1.67 15" - but have to wait a few days for my student ADC discount (20% off the PB) to process before pulling the trigger.

    Good to hear about Tiger - I was going to wait.
  8. dasper1 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 10, 2005
    I just pulled the trigger this morning and ordered the 1.67 15" with the 128vram seeing that Tiger will be released and I will be eligible to get the $9.95 upgrade. Now to purchasing some ram, how many people recommend ? The quote for a 1 GB stick is $189.00 (DM50 155-1), but there is no model name so I'm tentative about purchasing...

Share This Page