To part out, or not to part out...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SuperCompu2, Feb 21, 2007.

1. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2006
    I have this PowerMac G4 here, that has been serving me very well but I want to maybe upgrade a tiny bit to maybe a MDD or iMac G4. My real goal is to eventually get an AlBook G4, but in reality I just want to get the most out of my unit. Should I part this out or sell it as one unit? I really don't want to have to part it out, but If that's the only way to get the most out of it I guess I'll live.

Here are the Specs:

Dual 500MHz PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet
    1GB PC100-133 SDRAM
    60GB of storage (40+20)
    DVD-RAM and Zip Drive
    ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB Graphics
    USB 2.0 4+1 port card
    Airport Card
    Running 10.4.8

I think it's a pretty good modern unit, and shows it's speed with 1GB RAM and the Radeon 9000. I'm just looking for something that can handle my needs of the future, as I can only see this unit being useful to me on a daily basis for, at max, the next year or two. I'm afraid of putting Leopard on it, and would rather grab a unit that could comfortably handle the new OS.

Thanks for the help.
  2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    If you are going to part out anything, it should be the Airport card - they still fetch a very high price second hand. The rest...I'd sell it as one. It's just easier.
  3. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Yes, I definitely agree. It won't be worth much, if any, more to sell it as one than it would be parted out. However, you should sell the AirPort card separately, as though are worth quite a bit.

P.S. Allotriophagy is your avatar a Gorey as well? It looks inspired by him if it's not--I like it!