To replace or not to replace... MacBook Pro, That is the question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yah00z, May 29, 2006.

  1. yah00z macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    #1
    Well. I have had my week twenty MacBook Pro 2ghz for 10 days. It has a distinct white line (half inch maybe) along the bottom of the screen that makes everything much brighter than the rest of the screen. The temperature is not too bad. The most it get's up to is about 73 when I am using 100 percent CPU. Usually idle is around 28-36 degrees celcius and normal usage around 45celcius. It also has a pretty loud CPU whine, and the right direction arrow key is a bit off kilter. I have a chance to get a new MacBook with a free hard drive upgrade, but I am really worried about getting one with MORE problems. MNK takes care of my whine, and the line on the screen I *can* live with, and the key I *can* live with.

    So, my question to everyone..

    Should I replace my week 20 MacBookPro with a new one with a free hard drive upgrae (from 80gig 5400 to 100gig 7200)

    Give me you're input!
    Thanks,
    Bennett
     
  2. yah00z thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    #2
    Well

    I am going to be talking to the rep on Tuesday, please help me out guys!!!

    Thanks
     
  3. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

    Maxwell Smart

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2006
    #3
    Well, if it was me, I'd replace it. Hopefully get no problems and I get a free upgrade in return, sounds like a pretty fair deal to me. If it did in fact have defects I suppose I'd return that one as well. Just my 2 cents.
     
  4. hikingnclimbing macrumors member

    hikingnclimbing

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
    Location:
    Gorham, ME
    #4
    I'd get it replaced. For spending that kind of money, you shouldn't have to "live" with anything. It should be problem free. So get it replaced.

     
  5. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

    yankeefan24

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2005
    Location:
    NYC
    #5
    Replace it. It obviously has problems, and you can get a free upgrade.
     
  6. yah00z thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    #6
    Yeah...

    Well, it is tough. This is my first macs since the Performa 6400/200mhz! I loved that computer. Anyways, I have been using PC's running linux and BSD in the past, and when Apple switched to a BSD platform I went insane. Anyways, It's really hard to let go of the computer.

    I get attached, really quick.

    #1 the CPU whine I think Is going to come with most of the MBP's.
    #2 the White line is on almost ALL of the MacBook Pro's I have seen around
    #3 the key isn't a big deal

    But.. There is the issue of the upgrade, which is hard to pass up.
     
  7. Nate4747 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 7, 2006
    Location:
    Missouri
    #7
    I'd say go for it. Your chances of getting one with no problems is much better than getting one with more problems.
     
  8. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2006
    #8
    Definetly go for it. If it has the same problems, you get a free upgradse:D
     
  9. yah00z thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    #9
    I guess,

    I sure hope I don't get one with more problems.

    If I would have to send mine in before the replacement came, THEN I would skip it, but because apple is letting me keep mine untill I get the replacement, I think I should go ahead with it. I am a student and need the laptop at all times.
     
  10. yah00z thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    #10
    I

    I really fear getting one with a bad display.
     
  11. yah00z thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    #11
    They also said they would send it to me,

    and give me the choice. Let me take a look at the replacement, test it, and decide. Decide if I want to keep my old one, or keep the replacement, so it will work out good I guess.
     
  12. yah00z thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    #12
    So

    I talk to Apple today. They told me that they want to attempt and repair the laptop before they replace it. I told them a new laptop should not come DOA, and there is obviously something very wrong with the laptop. I then told them to either replace it or send me a full cash refund. Guess what they chose?
     

Share This Page